Post Guide On For Trailer

Ok I'm looking to put some of these on my trailer. Two reasons, wind loading and empty trailer backing visual although they don't need to be tall.  My dilemma is that the trailer has steps that go all the way to the back of the frame. The other problem is the cross frame is angled.  Any suggestion, options, pictures that any of you could share?

IMG_20170508_171827010_zpsy7nlsftb.jpg

IMG_20170508_171823410_zps7h2dzdno.jpg

They come with U bolts to mount to your frame, simply drill a couple of holes in the walk plank and bolt to frame. X the bolts so they are tight to the sides of the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The above are what I have had for years and they work fine...just have to make sure that the PVC snugs down tight on the upright metal holders or the PVC pipes can come loose

Thanks men I was trying to avoid drilling into the step but it looks like that might be the way to go. Do you think the 40s are plenty or should I get the 60s? Honestly it's just for keeping it straight while I'm cranking it up on

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

Start long, they have to be higher than the sides of the boat with the trailer in the water or you will mark up the sides of the boat or hang the boat up on one side or the other. You can cut them down later if you want. Been there and did that.:)

20 hours ago, Landshark said:

Ok I'm looking to put some of these on my trailer. Two reasons, wind loading and empty trailer backing visual although they don't need to be tall.  My dilemma is that the trailer has steps that go all the way to the back of the frame. The other problem is the cross frame is angled.  Any suggestion, options, pictures that any of you could share?

IMG_20170508_171827010_zpsy7nlsftb.jpg

IMG_20170508_171823410_zps7h2dzdno.jpg

Can you drop your tailgate to help you see? I can't tell if you have a bunk or roller trailer but if you leave the front of trailer out of the water slightly so the bunks/rollers are just below the surface of the water and power load you shouldn't need the guide-on posts in the wind. I power load whenever possible then I don't have to worry about cranking forever and helps a lot when it's windy out. Just line up bump the throttle so see pops onto the trailer then throttle up to the bump stop or close to it.

I fish alone a lot at night and power loading doesn't really help me because I'm getting too old and less agile to be climbing over to the trailer lol. If I were with someone that would definitely work

Mike your boat sits pretty high up on the trailer compared with mine so the 60's might be worth considering . I have the 40's on mine Here is what it looks like:

guideon1.jpg

guideon2.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics. The 60s it is. Thanks to all of you as well for your input

Yeah i usually climb up and down on the swim ladder after someone pulls the boat out. Otherwise I have to climb down the winch, not easy or fun.

No offense but how would you load by yourself without power loading? Would you take the death walk down the ramp and try to pull the boat onto the trailer while not trying to fall on the ramp?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Its pretty simple in my case I wear hip boots....no problem  loading boat on  solo or otherwise. I just keep them in the back of the Expedition.

Chas a number of launch ramps prohibit power loading....a number of reasons but  I've seen a lot of folks pizzed at power loaders because they pile up rocks with their turbulance and then someone unwittingly dings their prop when they come in afterward.

Edited by Sk8man

6 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Its pretty simple in my case I wear hip boots....no problem  loading boat on  solo or otherwise. I just keep them in the back of the Expedition.

Chas a number of launch ramps prohibit power loading....a number of reasons but  I've seen a lot of folks pizzed at power loaders because they pile up rocks with their turbulance and then someone unwittingly dings their prop when they come in afterward.

Conesus was like that last year, there was a 6' deep hole and then a sandbar at the end that you couldn't get over once the water got low 

I normally just pull the rope and get it started on the trailer and then either walk the plank and hook my winch strap. The problem is that in a cross wind my stern could get pushed so the boat wouldn't go on straight. I ordered the 60" posts so problem will be solved. I don't do the death climb over the bow. I'm also going to look into a heavier winch to make my cranking a little easier. Maybe I'll look into those two speed winches

2 hours ago, Landshark said:

I normally just pull the rope and get it started on the trailer and then either walk the plank and hook my winch strap. The problem is that in a cross wind my stern could get pushed so the boat wouldn't go on straight. I ordered the 60" posts so problem will be solved. I don't do the death climb over the bow. I'm also going to look into a heavier winch to make my cranking a little easier. Maybe I'll look into those two speed winches

I have a 2 speed on my boat, the fast speed is nice to take up the slack and get her close to the trailer then the slower speed makes cranking nice. I can usually just use the high speed setting on my bunk trailer. 

My boat is a 23' ProLine around 4800lbs. loaded with fuel, food, motors, gear.

Here is the winch I use and have never had a problem pulling up my boat.

http://www.seasense.com/products/trailer-accessories/index.html#!/2500LB-WINCH-W-STRAP-2-SPEED/p/59429866/category=16140753

This may sound simplistic regarding the winch situation but I broke a couple straps over the years tighteningthe boat in the winch while bringing it on the bunks then the light bulb finally went on in my little dinosaur brain that I needed to just back into the water a few more inches so that the boat went on a little further....bingo easier winching and no broken strap from too much tension. (the guide posts keep the boat from wandering by the way)

Edited by Sk8man

Yes I will be able to back it in more with the posts because I won't have to worry about the back getting out of whack. Thanks again fellas

Wish this was posted sooner. I just through a set in the dumpster at work I had laying around. They would have been perect for you.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

This is a great thread, I've been following closely, I have the same problem, in the wind it's a beoch to load, I didn't know that the poles actually guide you into the trailer. I just thought they gave you a idea of where you need to be, as some launches are so steep that I can't see my last set of rollers even if I tilt them up as far as I could, my trailer there's not much room for error!! Or your into the next set of rollers or if your off some because you missed the sweet spot you have the nose gouged up!! So the post actually assist in the loading?? I just thought they were pieces of pvc pipe for a visual on the approach. Thanks. I know I'll need the 60"ers for sure. I have approx. 4" left/right or the back rollers are on the rib and the others are in between the ribs and the boat sits crooked on the trailer. :headbang:

The posts will keep in from getting it cockeyed in the back pap. So if you start cranking it up you will know the back of the boat won't get way off and can be straighter on trailer. The metal part of the posts goes a little higher and the pvc sits on top. So it's a little more rigid

O ok yea I'm going to get a set. Thanks, yea I thought they were just another thing to bust off, as I didn't know there was reinforcements inside!!