Fishing in mittens....

Fishing in mittens....

He toughed it out in the wind, rain, and cold for a couple hours on Saturday - can't keep him inside where it's warm.  Once the mittens got soaked through he was ready to head in and grab some breakfast...

IMG_5480.JPG

Nice! How old is he? My son is a little over 2 and hoping I can get him out with me for a few hours at a time. Your son is obviously older but any tips or tricks?

Edited by Chas0218

2 hours ago, Chas0218 said:

Nice! How old is he? My son is a little over 2 and hoping I can get him out with me for a few hours at a time. Your son is obviously older but any tips or tricks?

We started him out when he was 3.  He is 6 now.  Honestly - when you take them out don't push it - keep it fun.   When they are ready to go in - you go in....over the last year or so now he is at the point where he can fish 4-6 hours without much issue.  Don't go out in anything bigger than 2 footers (true 2 footers).  Let them reel fish in once they are ready - they will lose more than they win in the beginning but now he is able to handle browns on his own (unless they are big) and also 2 year old kings on riggers.  Diver rods are still hard for him.  Keep it fun, don't push them, and let the interest grow over time.   

• 2 weeks later...

AA is right on the spot. Don't push the little guy especially with the early morning trips and the rough seas. You got to make this fun experience or else he would hate fishing for the rest of his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United