Out of curiosity, do you guys know if it’s possible for a Trout to grow its adipose fin back after it’s been clipped? The last fish I caught on Sunday (a 22#) had a pretty developed adipose, so I’m wondering if it may have been a wild fish, which would be incredibly rare in Erie since there’s been no natural reproduction detected outside of one or two small fish every few years. That said, the fish was probably at least 20 years old, so maybe the fin just slowly grew back over time.

Char master,

Yes it is certainly possible for the adipose fin to grow back after being clipped. Actually, it is something that is considered for tagging studies and there is a lot of research out there that explains this very well. If you look closely at the fin, you may be able to tell if the top of the fin is fairly flat and is not rounded like a natural adipose would be. If you have some pictures that show this up close, I may be able to help you determine if it is a clipped fin or not. I work with Atlantic salmon in Maine and have worked at salmon hatcheries for over 25 years and have fin clipped thousands of fish during this time.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Char_Master said:

Interesting that they’re eating Perch this time of year. A 23# I kept this spring had a few Perch in its stomach, among other things, but I didn’t think their depth ranges would overlap during the summer. How deep did you catch those Lakers, fishnut?

61785140-781B-42C5-8DCA-2282B607E0D0.jpeg

We were fishing in 100 to 115 FOW 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, Fishnatzee said:

Char master,

Yes it is certainly possible for the adipose fin to grow back after being clipped. Actually, it is something that is considered for tagging studies and there is a lot of research out there that explains this very well. If you look closely at the fin, you may be able to tell if the top of the fin is fairly flat and is not rounded like a natural adipose would be. If you have some pictures that show this up close, I may be able to help you determine if it is a clipped fin or not. I work with Atlantic salmon in Maine and have worked at salmon hatcheries for over 25 years and have fin clipped thousands of fish during this time.

I don’t think I got any clear shots of the adipose area, but I do remember the fin being a bit squared off, so it probably was just a planted fish that grew the fin back.

On 8/7/2018 at 11:39 AM, Fishnatzee said:

Char master,

Not the same fish, but what do you think of this one? 20” fish I harvested today had no fin clips, a fully developed adipose, and nice orange meat. Wild?

490AA846-6A15-471F-A452-C8699401A53C.jpeg

That certainly looks like a full adipose fin, not sure what the other ones look like. I am not familiar with the tagging program there, so having an adipose fin may be a good indicator of wild origin. I would also look at the other fins to check there condition as well before determining if it originated from a hatchery. Typically the dorsal and caudal fins will show some signs of abnormal growth such as bent fins rays, damaged tissue, lumps and bumps along dorsal fin rays etc...

• Like 1

Not quite Dunkirk, but has anyone heard of any Lakers off of North East within the past week? Two weekends ago we went 8/11 in just under 4 hours in PA waters, but the NE wind helped to push some cold water over west to us so I’m not sure if there’s still any Lakers hanging around. Hate to make the 20 mile boat ride if there’s no fish left.

14 minutes ago, jigstick said:

Have you tried heading north out of North East?  There has to be cold water past the mountain drop off. I catch lakers heading north out of Barcelona all the time. 

I headed all the way out to 146 FOW back in July and couldn’t find one fish out there. That said, I fished as shallow as 80 FOW too and there weren’t fish anywhere in between those depths. PA is just spotty this time of year, never know what the bottom temps will be. That said, it’s probably still worth a try since this will likely be my last weekend of boat fishing while the thermocline is still stable.

• 3 weeks later...

Any of you guys know if the thermocline is still set up after that major blow last week? Debating whether to try for Lakers one last time for the year on Saturday or Sunday (winds permitting), but I’m not sure if they’ll still be concentrated down deep or scattered and tight lipped. Could always troll the creek mouths for Steel if nothing else, I suppose.

Char..... I fished out of the Catt on Sunday, and in 80 fow, just a touch East of the creek, the temps went from about 64 F to 56 F, from 50 feet down to 60 feet down. The walleyes were laying on top of that temp break, 40 - 50 down, and lakers and steelhead were in the colder water. We got some of each on identical lures using identical presentations...... lead core and sticks. There were salmonids laying on the bottom and harassing the bait there...... The further West we went the closer to the surface that break came, so being after walleyes, I went back East after figuring that out...... good luck if you go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traveling Circus said:

Char..... I fished out of the Catt on Sunday, and in 80 fow, just a touch East of the creek, the temps went from about 64 F to 56 F, from 50 feet down to 60 feet down. The walleyes were laying on top of that temp break, 40 - 50 down, and lakers and steelhead were in the colder water. We got some of each on identical lures using identical presentations...... lead core and sticks. There were salmonids laying on the bottom and harassing the bait there...... The further West we went the closer to the surface that break came, so being after walleyes, I went back East after figuring that out...... good luck if you go. 

Thanks for the info! In that case I’ll probably give it a try, as long as the waves cooperate.

• 11 months later...

Looking to try fishing for the first time out of either Dunkirk or Barcelona for some lakers. From what I read they seem to be between these two ports out beyond 90 fow. Do both ports have a decent municipal launch and parking or is one better than the other? Any pointers would be much appreciated, I'm coming up from the Ashtabula area.

Looking to try fishing for the first time out of either Dunkirk or Barcelona for some lakers. From what I read they seem to be between these two ports out beyond 90 fow. Do both ports have a decent municipal launch and parking or is one better than the other? Any pointers would be much appreciated, I'm coming up from the Ashtabula area.
Dunkirk has a decent launch with parking. I've been hearing alot of Lakers being caught on a walleye program. Most of those reports are 100fow. Truth be told, I don't know of too many guys that target them, but those that do seem to have no problem finding them and catching them according to pics / social media posts. Last year we got a tank that had to be close to 20# in 90fow on a rigger with a clean meat rig (yes, I ran it for walleyes) right in front of Dunkirk. Hit the deep water, go low and slow and you should do fine.

Fish 90-120 FOW, northwest of Dunkirk or northeast of Barcelona. Pull cowbells, spoons, dodgers, and flashers within a few feet of the bottom, anywhere from 1.5-3.0 mph depending on the baits. If they’re around, you should catch them.

Speaking of Dunkirk, does anyone have a recent report? Planning to make my annual trip up there this weekend in search of Lakers. Seems like the dink Walleye are as much of a plague up there as they have been in PA this year haha.

Edited by Char_Master

Lake Trout have been suspending in with the walleyes and coming out of warm water on small spoons and plugs the last few weeks in Dunkirk.  I don't normally target the lakers but got a client one down 75 over 100 on a small Moonshine spoon on Thursday.  Took about 3 minutes to grab one from the time I set the rigger.  Don't think you will have any trouble catching all you want.  From what I've seen I'd keep some lures up higher at or slightly above thermocline.  The few I've kept had smelt in them.  I have been surprised to see lakers actively feeding up in 70 degree water.  Several pics as proof.  PS the lamprey didn't go back in one piece..        

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0784.JPG

• Like 2

I just spoke with Westfield Tackle and the lady told me that they are taking lakers pretty regularly now on about any spoons out of Barcelona. I'm going to try and head over there this weekend or next.