susquehanna river walleye 5/9

bulletbob

susquehanna river walleye 5/9

First off, the river is unfishable for the most part.. High as  hell, raging torrents of chocolate milk at the susky  here in the southern tier.. However, there IS a feeder creek that enters it, and was sending  large amounts of green water[NOT clear] into the river forming a   nice  line of  eddies, upwellings, rips, and a distinct mud line.. I know from past experience, the the lure must be close the the transition ... If its in the raging  mud, you'll never get a hit.. the green water, you might, but not often.. those fish hold in that tiny narrow band where the currents meet and churn... Starting  before dawn in the  moonlight, I hung a good fish first cast, but she spit the hook.. About an hour later at first light, all hell broke loose and i had my limit within about 15 minutes, always standing on the same rock.. The action slowed but by the time the fish totally shut down at around 7:30, I had landed  9, all keeper size except for one short about 14 inches.. I kept my limit  of eating size fish-  1 at 16 inches -2 around 17-18- and  2 just over 21.. Not huge by big lake standards , but the susquehanna doesn't have many Erie size walleyes.. A 4 pounder is a good one there... Nothing drew a hit today except a small  2 inch  chartreuse Mr Twister on a 1/4 oz head.. that stupid lure that looks like it came out of a 5 year olds, toy tackle box, has caught me more river walleyes than  any other by probably 3 to 1 over the past 25 years.. It is my go to, when they will touch nothing else.. So it was a good first day of walleye fishing, but the window is short.. When the water clears up, the area I fished does not get the concentrations, they disperse, and then 2 keepers is a good mornings work.. Still its been  a while since i limited on walleyes, and it was nice never having to move a foot or two in either direction.. That raging brown river swirling and heaving all around me, with me perched  on a   bit of rock was  kind of scary as well, but it was either go there, or catch nothing.

One of the fish puked up a massive Madtom catfish, , over 6 inches, by far the biggest one I have ever seen.. Trying again early tuesday, but any caught  will be released.  .. bob

100_2223.JPG

Very nice report Bullet, great to hear you used your wisdom to adapt to the situation!! Only a timed veteran walleye angler would have been able to put the pieces to your puzzle together!! I wouldn't think twice to bet my life on the fact that a 1/4oz jig head with either a yellow, or chartreuse green twister tail has taken more eyes than any other single fish pole type  methood used to this date!! I have yet to figure out what in Gods name its to represent?? The Erie guys say it represents the May fly larvae? I have been to the western basin and experienced this very epic moment!! But they don't use a that type setup, they use decent size hair jig tipped with a minnow? So where does the jig head twister tail lure fit in? I don't know, but many a 4-500 a week walleyes have been caught across the world using this methood!! Congrats to your day. We went over the Susky twice within the last week and it is ripping downstream and dark chocolate color early noon Tuesday!! PAP.

Went again this morning 5/10... Landed 5  before they quit at about 6:30..  3 at about  14 inches, one about 17, and then a really nice 24 incher-[measured before released] with big broad shoulders.. Not a monster but a really good  river fish.. Water in the feeder creek has  cleared a bit, river has gone down a foot or more but is still really high fast and muddy. At one point I hung what felt like a GOOD fish but it was off within a second.
Upon reeling in the jig, I found a  single quarter  sized scale  neatly impaled on the hook.. So there is a pissed off , but unharmed 20 pound carp swimming out in the muddy  susquehanna  this morning, with one less scale.... bob

Water has started clearing and settling down, so of course, the fish are gone from the area I was fishing.. Went last  evening  not a touch from a Walleye.. 2 small SMB. two other guys fishing near me  as well, no one had a touch.. Thats just the way this river is, and always has been.. VERY inconsistent.. One day you're an expert, next day you're a jackass ..LOL.  bob