Spring Walleye

Dylan585

If you are sure you are marking Walleyes, here's what i would do...  Fish at FIRST LIGHT!.. I would start fishing before dawn while its still dark.. If you get there before sunup,and put jigs down  with a big minnow hooked through the lips, or a half nightcrawler, you should get them to bite...  The shallower the water is, the more light conditions affect the bite.. i catch a lot of walleyes in the  Susquehanna river which is very shallow.. On a good day they will bite maybe  2 hours, from say   5:30 am till 6:30 am , and then its done.. They might bite  again from 7 pm till 7:30 or so at night and then quit again. Its been that way for as long as I have been fishing the river,, VERY short "bite windows"... You didn't mention where  you were fishing, but as a general rule, the deeper the water, the more prone walleyes are to stay active.. Next time, bring some live bait, and get there early, before sunup... bob

Edited by bulletbob

Finding eyes is often the easy part.  Like mentioned above focus on changing light periods as that is when you have the best chance...sunrise, sunset, moon rise, and moonset.   Weather trump's everything and nothing is more finicky than walleye so don't beat yourself up too much.   Last weekend wasn't ideal for most areas.  

On May 11, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Dylan585 said:

But you know how we are lol. Some of it is probably being over enthusiastic

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can never be "over" enthusiastic Dylan! You guys already are better than most fisherman twice your age. I'm proud of you guys for trying and don't worry, we all have had days when we couldn't get bit!!

Edited by devoknevo