Stacking two rods off of Downrigger

In the small aluminum boat my father-in law owns the downriggers are mounted facing out to the side, as opposed to off the back of the boat. If I were to stack two rods off of one downrigger, would you put the deeper of the two rods in the rod holder nearest to the stern or in the rod holder nearest to the bow? Not sure if it makes much difference but in trying to address the easiest way to avoid tangles, I figured the deeper of the two rods should be placed in the rear rod holder and the higher of the two rods in the front.

[email protected]

Your guess on set up is what we did when we used two rods on one rigger.

We usually run a cheater now and don't stack two rods on one rigger anymore....but when we did we put the deeper running rod towards the stern and facing the rod towards the back a bit. The shallower running rod was in front of the rigger and slightly outside the rigger beam. The idea was that if a fish hit the deeper rigger rod it would be pulled a bit towards the center of the stern and hopefully avoid a tangle.

If a fish hit the upper rod then hopefully the line would clear the rigger cable to the outside of the cable, and avoid a tangle.

Cheaters/ and sliders turned out to be simplier for us in our little boat.

I know this doesn't answer your question but I think the best way to go with your setup is like mikejones says. In any boat with only two riggers you can add another rod (dipsey, lead core, thumper, flatline) to the mix and still have 2 baits/lures on each rigger. If your not using dipseys then your really missing a golden opportunity to catch fish.

In a small boat you probably only have two guys which limits you to 4 rods total. I think 2 rods on a rigger with sliders/cheaters on each rod is asking for trouble. Just a thought.

I think what has ben said is on the $$ use sliders or mup rigs and add wire rigs or copper,core.But if you want to stack The way I use to do it is I had a dual rod holder on the boom of my riggers and I would adjust it in a V formation so that what ever rod pops the rod tip goes away from the other line so I didn't have alot of tangles that way(I think I said that right if not Sorry)Just try to angle the rods away from each other and you should be fine.just hope the rod doesn't pop on a big turn ;)

I've never used dipseys. I never felt confident in knowing exactly how deep my lures were when setting out a dipsey. I likes the ideas of the dipsey taking the lure out to the side of the boat, but there seem to be so many variables such as current, baot speed, line diameter, etc.

As far as the stacking on riggers go, that's for NJ where they have no limit on rods per angler. Figured i could use it at the local reservoirs.

[email protected]

I've stacked riggers for a bunch of years before dipseys and leadcore were all the rage. The only time I stack now is to get 2 lures deep with longer leads. To tell you the truth, it doesn't make any difference. The key is to do it the same each time so you don't get tangled up. I run 2 downriggers off the sides with the bottom rod in the 'rigger holder pointing out sideways. The top rod goes in a holder pointing straight off the stern. I just have to remember to pull rods from the center of the boat outwards, and I'm always pulling the top rod first. Just my 2cents

Pmjasper I am by fare not an expert but the only thing that I can tell you is a wire rig is a must for the big lake Once you learned it you will use it every time out.I learned how to use it from the guys on this site just ask and they will help you It's a must for salmon the big thing for wire is getting the set up.All you need is a couple of black #1 dipseys and 30 to 40 lb wire and a Line counter reel,and rod and a good(I mean a Good ) set of rod holders and away you go.It.s like a 3 to 1 ratio on a #2 setting.Like if you want to go down 50 feet you put out 150 feet of wire.100 feet 300 feet of wire.Things can vary but for the most part that's it and just remember there is no strech on wire so let the fish set the hook or it will cost you big $$(been there done that ;) )This is just my opinion.Good luck.

.......... that's for NJ where they have no limit on rods per angler.

I've been a advocate of that rule in New York for years, but who the hell am I? :?

I'm also a advocate of a fishing license for the boat like in Virginia. You buy a license for the boat and all those in the boat are covered by the license....... That would be to easy :shock: .