vacuum sealers

Hello all,

sorry this isn't a report but i didn't know the best place to ask this question. I want to get a very high quality vacuum sealer for fish and venison. I'd rather pay a bit more up front and get a quality product that works very well and will last a long time than buy a less expensive one that i am soon dissatisfied with. Any suggestions? I am considering the Gamesaver Turbo by Tilia. It comes with 2 pumps for a faster more complete vacuum plus a heavy-duty seal bar for 50 or more repetitive seals. It costs $280 at Bass Pro.

Thanks for your input and advice,

andre

I know you didn't want cheap but this unit works great for fish. As the air is sucked out and the water starts going out also that will mess the seal up in most uints it's no problem with this one because of the desing of the bag. Only problem I've had is loading them up to much but after a few time you get a good eye-ball for it.

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitc ... at_id=1337

Andre,

I have a Food Saver unit which I purchased four years ago. I have sealed ten or eleven deer over that time frame (including several hundred pounds of processed meats from Tony Costanza), at least 100 pounds of fish each year and my family also uses it for day to day stuff (cheese, chicken, etc.) Never once has it failed, it's easy to clean, and simple to use. I believe I spent $120 for it. It's not overly fast (probably takes 10 seconds to seal a bag), but it's reliable.

Unless you do commercial sealing or need speed, the Food Saver works fantastic, and I can find the bags anywhere.

- Chris

Foodsaver is a great unit and bags are relatively inexpensive an easy to come by. (Wal-Mart etc.) One word of advice tho. It you buy one off E-Bay altho you can get some good deal's on new one's there. Foodsaver will not honor there warranty on there product with a receipt from the seller from E-Bay. It has to be bought from one of there recognized retailers. I had a problem with one of the new one's I bought off there. Sent the warranty card in and all, and they wouldn't take care of it. Great unit's tho. Have several I've bought for family, friends and myself and they work great.

Wow all good news on the Food Saver , well I have the FoodSaver Vac 550. Worked fair for the first year now any small amount of moisture and the seal will leak. Got so I had to put a paper towel in to pick up the wettness before it would get to the seal line. Also used to put meat in a zip-loc bag before I used it to get a good seal. Mine must have been the dog.............. :shock:

Had a foodsaver and it was great. We did have problems with liquid screwing up the vacuum pump where you had to let it dry out before it would work again. got tired of that and bought a rival meal saver. this works the nuts. The design is such that even if water enters the vacuum channel it is uneffected because the vacuum tube is set higher than the bottom of the channel. Never have a liquid problem anymore.

Uses the same bags as foodsaver.....nice.

Spike

• 1 month later...

Guys what model #s have you used in the Foodsaver. I will be processing deer out of my garage this year after my brother in law sold his farm and moved to South Carolina so I inherited the business this year after years in Macedon.... There are a lot to choose from and I am expecting about 100-200 deer this year so dependability is a must....... Thanks...Dale.

When are you starting dale? I have a feeling I might get one next weekend up north and an going to need someone to process it for me. I could do it myself, but leaving it at your house seems much easier.

I would go with a commercial unit for that many deer. you are going to need speed.

X2 on this unit- This is a relatively new product that work GREAT. I Just bought one at wally world and the pump WITH batteries was around $11 bucks. The bags are also reusable.

I know you didn't want cheap but this unit works great for fish. As the air is sucked out and the water starts going out also that will mess the seal up in most uints it's no problem with this one because of the desing of the bag. Only problem I've had is loading them up to much but after a few time you get a good eye-ball for it.

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitc ... at_id=1337

I have had my Foodsaver for 6 years now and love it. I package lots of fishand deer with it. My wife buys bulk chicken brests and steaks and we foodsave and freeze them to save $. I have not had any problems with my foodsaver.

Jeff if you get one give me a call I will be set to start processing this weekend. I just need to pick out the perfect Foodsaver machine. There are to many to choose from. Good luck if you get out.

I appreciate the responses guys. I have been looking at the Food Saver website and there are many options and of course I am looking for the perfect model for Deer Processing. I may just pick the $200 model and try that if it works good then I am in business. I just want the best for the customers.

Thanks,

Dale

• 1 month later...

I would second the Food saver. I have had one for 3 yrs. and have done all my venison, fish and bulk meats. I buy by bags and rolls from Bed Bath and Beyond. They have coupons that never run out for 20% and sometimes $5 one. Bags and rolls are 19.99. They also have 2 models, get the one that has the cutting bar and stores a roll. You can double if you feel the need.

Doug