Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is that?

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

Too many people come here for info or to sell stuff and do not contribute at all to the website. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, upnorthangler169 said:

Why would the mod close this topic? I think we should leave it open to see all the positive feedback I am getting . Does anyone else find it funny how when one guy claims to get scammed members here jump on the bandwagon . But once the real truth comes out all we hear is crickets . 

Agree 100%. I called a guy out on poaching a coyote and got basted as well for calling him out......now you know why I spend less and less time on this site. It seems like guys just love to pile on.

Too many people come here for info or to sell stuff and do not contribute at all to the website. 

I have to agree on that aspect

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

I wouldn't pay to find stuff for sale when eBay is so easy. I found your amd others sites and Facebook site bc of this forum Gambler . To me businesses should pay as it is very effective advertising especially when so many knowlageable guys recommend a product. As far as used equipment goes why should they pay they are just trying to pass deals to guys who enjoy the same sport?

This site is one of my favorites. Never had an issue the OP clearly had issue with direction or communication and cried wolf before actually seeing if money was taken. No reason to change anything here

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I agree with you stoneam... I'm not going to pay money each month when all of these other sites are easily available and free.... If you find somebody who just posted in classifieds just simply don't but from him or sell to him

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Look at some of the profiles of guys that buy and sell stuff here.  Guys abuse the forum by only posting stuff for sale and not participating in the rest of the forum. 

Look at some of the profiles of guys that buy and sell stuff here.  Guys abuse the forum by only posting stuff for sale and not participating in the rest of the forum. 

The question is that the majority or the minority?

3 minutes ago, upnorthangler169 said:

What exactly do you call abuse ? Selling some spoons and flashers for 50.00 or for one guy to sell a bayliner boat for 25,000? 

When the only posts people have are selling stuff on this site.  It doesn't matter if its a boat or tackle. 

I do get that. Myself do more classified stuff than anything else bc I lack knowledge I am also greatful that I have opportunity to buy stuff 2nd hand and save some money and when I need answers to specific questions i get help from the great guys who are willing to help and many of those guys are the guys who I will be spending my money with whether business or private. But when a good deal comes up I for one like taking it as I don't have endless funds.

24 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

I do get that. Myself do more classified stuff than anything else bc I lack knowledge I am also greatful that I have opportunity to buy stuff 2nd hand and save some money and when I need answers to specific questions i get help from the great guys who are willing to help and many of those guys are the guys who I will be spending my money with whether business or private. But when a good deal comes up I for one like taking it as I don't have endless funds.

And that's fine Stoneam.  I have read your posts and you participate in this forum.  There is nothing wrong with a guy like yourself.  It's the guys that are here to sell and not much else that I'm talking about.  If not a buy in for Reports and classifieds, you should have to have a certain amount of posts before gaining access to these parts or being able to sell. I'm not talking 5 posts like gaining access to send Pm's. 

I think this issue is much more about people and expectations rather than any problems with the website itself. I have previously been on other fishing websites both saltwater and freshwater and LOU is by far the best one I've ever experienced. .My major reason for being here is to share information that might be helpful to others based on a lifetime of fishing experience because at this point in life it seems good to give back to the sport....I don't expect anything in return and I think many oithers feel that way too. The charter guys are more experienced than most sportfishermen and they generously share good information here too and that is clearly a good will gesture on their part. There are always "givers" and "takers" in life and nobody should be surprised that out of the thousands of folks that frequent this website there will be  some takers represented. I believe they are few in number in comparison with the "givers"and we should all be concerned with sharing informationthat may benefit others to the degree that we feel we may have something to offer. It is critical to the maintaining of the sport. I went to a DEC diary cooperators meeting the other night and out of the 50 or 60 people attending only about three were less than 50 years old and that may say something about where the sport is heading with respect to new folks or younger people entering the sport. It is not particularly heartening to see. I also think it is important to set a good example here by avoiding "drama" as Facebook and the rest of social media already has that market cornered:lol: It only detracts from the valid issues and concerns and may drive away folks that are already saturated with that crap. I've had a number of transactions (only buying) from the Classifieds and each has been a positive experience so it may be unfair to generalize about the website or the Classifieds based on a small sample of cases.

Edited by Sk8man

Well said sk8man and hopefully some of the older generations realize this too and guys my age need to learn so of the tricks from them. And hopefully keep the fishery in good shape for our kids too

And just to give props to many many of you. You are willing to reach out and help new guys in the sport and for that I thank you all

2 hours ago, momay4000 said:

Agree 100%. I called a guy out on poaching a coyote and got basted as well for calling him out......now you know why I spend less and less time on this site. It seems like guys just love to pile on.

Actually, I thought you spent less time on this forum because you have taken a hiatus from boating and fishing? You sort of sold a lot of your fishing equipment here if I'm not mistaken? Not trying to "pile on" or start anything. Just saying.

And that's fine Stoneam.  I have read your posts and you participate in this forum.  There is nothing wrong with a guy like yourself.  It's the guys that are here to sell and not much else that I'm talking about.  If not a buy in for Reports and classifieds, you should have to have a certain amount of posts before gaining access to these parts or being able to sell. I'm not talking 5 posts like gaining access to send Pm's. 

Ive heard this for ever on here and think it's a good idea... At the end if the day this site is supposed to be for the betterment of the fisheries and the fisherman... If people find this site they should have no issues in finding a few things to comment on and help with... I agree with aspects about sharing info too... If I had to pay to be on here I wouldn't be on here... Now I get it would only get rid of a few aspects of it but some of those aspects are important... Especially fishing reports as I have no damn clue what I'm doing fishing on the lake... I like that some of the older folks (no offense meant) on this site are always willing to help out!!! BTW... What has this post became?

You guys got me thinking, what can we do as an out of stater to not only contribute to LOU but to your fantastic fishery that is Lake Ontario. I did just join Lotsa and am a pro member as well. We do support your local tackle shops (bought all our salmon tackle from Greg at ABS in Newfane) and we do go on Charters (Matt Yablonsky) with one of the many awesome charter captains available. But my question is what else can be done to contribute to your fishery, we are willing to spend time or money. I know volunteers are always needed somewhere. We do love this site and hope it does not change.

Thank you, Bob

Edited by Decoy Hound

You can send me a bank check for $5,000. That should be a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

4 hours ago, MikeyP said:

Actually, I thought you spent less time on this forum because you have taken a hiatus from boating and fishing? You sort of sold a lot of your fishing equipment here if I'm not mistaken? Not trying to "pile on" or start anything. Just saying.

Sold my boat - absolutely, but I still troll with my buddies, hunt 60 days a year, pan fish in my personal ponds and the Finger Lakes, buy or sell stuff from time to time and I still love learning and seeing how guys do. I know you're not piling on in any way, no offense taken.

This site is a break from my daily grind and I do enjoy a visit!!

This is simple....you don't like the site don't visit it!!!!   Really guys this has gotten enough attention......you like it fine you don't fine..........

2 hours ago, momay4000 said:

Sold my boat - absolutely, but I still troll with my buddies, hunt 60 days a year, pan fish in my personal ponds and the Finger Lakes, buy or sell stuff from time to time and I still love learning and seeing how guys do. I know you're not piling on in any way, no offense taken.

This site is a break from my daily grind and I do enjoy a visit!!

I would say you are doing okay :yes: