Ibay speed limit new law

Ibay speed limit new law

Gents and ladies FYI as of 5pm yesterday, the towns of Irondequoit and Webster passed emergency town ordinances for the speed limit on Ibay until further notice.  The law is if you are within 500' of shore you are to be at IDLE speed, which means in clutch, NO WAKE.  Outside of 500' the speed is 5 MPH, NO WAKE.  The Sheriff's Office is going to be out there as well as the USCG and DEC.  The law is in effect until further notice.   This is 100% happening.  Be safe and obey the law.  Tight lines

10 hours ago, Sea-IV said:

The Bay I barely 500' wide and they better have a bunch of law enforcement boat out there early cause I already seen 3 on plane ripping south 

We have not seen an enforcement boat on I-bay all week. One of them needs to get there a-s in there and start writing tickets. Shoreline residents are getting hammered with even 6 in wakes. We saw boats from Southpoint running on plane this AM 100 ft from shore. :@

I heard the USGC and Sheriffs talking back and forth on Friday when a 35-38 foot cabin cruiser ran the length of I-Bay full out. USCG was looking for a Sheriff in the area to go get him but the Sheriffs were out at Braddocks. Too bad, jackass needed a ticket.

I am a Coast Guard Aux and our duty is not LEO related but We are the eyes and ears of the Regular USCG and will note

such information and pass it on to LEO's

I will take a picture and see anyone I see making wake receive a ticket!  "WHY"  because they could close the Bays to all boat traffic if boaters screw this up.

Dr W

Edited by Dr W

I heard the USGC and Sheriffs talking back and forth on Friday when a 35-38 foot cabin cruiser ran the length of I-Bay full out. USCG was looking for a Sheriff in the area to go get him but the Sheriffs were out at Braddocks. Too bad, jackass needed a ticket.

I heard the same thing on the radio. I was out in front of the Genesee I saw that big boat come from ibay. I saw the sheriff's boats come from Braddock's Bay to the Genesee. They let the big boat go into the new Rochester port. They didn't pull him over or anything. They actually took both sheriff boats and tied up to the wall and they went in to eat breakfast at that new restaurant at Port of Rochester.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Really they should just grab a rookie deputy throw him on a DEC or USCG boat and have him write away. Give him the quick and dirty and how to write the ticket. I don't understand why DEC wouldn't write the ticket being they have just as much authority as the State Police.

Edited by Chas0218

I think that someone on the bay called the boat in to the USCG and they in turn tried to find someone in that area who could handle the call. I'm just guessing, but that is the feeling I got from the radio chatter. I did see the USCG on the bay when I was coming in on Saturday though. I'll bet their presence will be upped from now on for a while.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:53 PM, Mr.Esox said:

Should be within 100 ft of shore . Sounds a little much .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Navigation Law for I Bay was modified some years ago to a 200' from shore no wake zone as has been done on a lot of lakes in NYS.  There are some steep bluffs that are subject to a lot of slope toe erosion from boat wakes in a normal year, with the high water this year there is water right up to the doors of many properties in German Village and other shore side hamlets.  If you need to get from the south end to the outlet, troll, the browns are in the bay as well as the lake!   As another here said, much more negligence in caring for the shore properties by boaters, they could just close the bay to motorized traffic.  I have a strong suspicion that it is not fishermen running like this, but if they close it everyone suffers. 

Those guys will not slow down.  We were perch fishing at the channel markers years back in my 14' aluminum boat and a 30+' boat blew by us on plane.  They were only 30-40' from us! 

49 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Those guys will not slow down.  We were perch fishing at the channel markers years back in my 14' aluminum boat and a 30+' boat blew by us on plane.  They were only 30-40' from us! 

Story of my life up on the St. Lawrence. I find it so funny how everyone up there thinks they have to run in the channel with the barges and all the weekend boaters or they will run a ground. I try to fish as far away from the channel as possible.

Some of them are oblivious. Sometimes they even wave. Sometimes I wave back but most of my fingers are not visible (and it isn't :yes:). Or sometimes they slow down off of plane to where they are producing maximum wake, thinking they are being courteous. Or you get one on each side going in opposite directions and their wakes converge on you.

Edited by muskiedreams