Wautoma Shoal 8/4 PM

After a frustrating weekend of waves that were just too big for our 14' boat, we went out tonight for an hour or so on Wautoma Shoal. On my son's first cast he hooked into this 18" smallie that broke the water twice on the way in and he insisted that I post it. Nothing fancy, just a nightcrawler on a hook. He also caught a 9" perch on the same set-up. Me, nothing but goby after goby... but tommorrow is another day...

smallie1vh0.png

There are some real nice fish on that shoal, but they are few and far between it seems. I was there fourth of July weekend and hooked into 3 bruisers on a drop-shot. Marked some good fish, but they were tough. It has potential though.

Nice slob! I'll be there this weekend. I've found that a good way to avoid the goblins is to use a 12-18" line on your sinker to suspend your bait off the bottom. It also showed an increase in smallie and perch hits.

Anyone catching them at the hump in front of Long Pond? I'm sure I'll head there if its slow at the shoals. Last year in early August we caught a ton of smallies using softshells.

Thanks for the tip on the rig Sindale. I only had the sinker about 6-8" below the hook and it clearly wasn't high enough! Although my son's was set up with the sinker above the hook! I think the bass and the perch took it on the way down because both strikes were immediate. Weather permitting we'll be back at it later this week and throughout the weekend. Keep an eye out for us, I'll be the boat with the kid with a cooler full of fish and the guy furiously throwing back gobies!

Any luck? The thunder kept me off the O, so we slammed some bass in I-Bay. Still got caught in a ferocious down pore Sat. night, but we were close enough to the launch to avoid the lightning. Saw a wicked light show though! Biggest was a 3lb. largey caught on a Berkely rubber crayfish near the gun club.

Only got the boat in briefly this weekend because of the weather and no luck. The storms were pretty incredible!

Went out tonight and marked a bunch of decent fish 8-10' down in 16-18' feet of water. My son caught a small perch and I, of course caught my limit in gobies. (some of them are getting pretty big!)

If the lake cooperates I told my older son that I would take him out tomorrow night (we have a cottage right off the shoal) If that doesn't pan out I might have to trailer the boat down to I-Bay this weekend.