White bass

Yankmycrank

White bass

I live in the Saratoga area and fish all types of panfish all over the capital region.  But we don't have any lakes or rivers that have white bass in em.  We have white perch but they don't even compare to the size and battle of a white bass.  I've only ever caught 1 and it was in the mouth of the Oswego river casting for eyes.  I got to OZ 3 or 4 times a year and I would love to be able to get into a pile of white bass.  If anybody knows any good spots for em (sandy pond?) within 30 miles or so of the Oswego river I would greatly appreciate any tips

I catch them up the a** trolling worm harnesses for walleye as well as trolling crank baits in Irondequoit... They make good catfish bait!

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Disregard this comment... Got them mixed up with another fish

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

White bass and silver bass are one and the same. They are also in the Seneca River near Mays Point (near the Montezuma refuge)

White_Bass.jpg

whitebass.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

White perch and white bass are very similar in appearance.  The most notable difference is that the white bass has a number of parallel lines on its side whereas the white perch does not.  Also, white bass in Oneida tend to run larger than white perch, up to 17-18".  Not tryinying to be a jerk but if you were catching lots of them and they were running 8-12" i think they were white perch.  I've caught tons of them right were you were and never landed a white bass.  The place to be for white bass this time of year is the extreme west end near the Route 81 bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught my first white bass in Irondequoit bay. On small spoons and spinners. They run in schools and hit and play much like smallies, with the same vigor if not power. Definitely fun to get into them. Have found them (stumbled on them actually) working near shore near drop offs near woody structure like trees or limbs of fallen trees. Like crappies but much more fight!