Suggestions for Cayuga tomorrow 5-16-17

Suggestions for Cayuga tomorrow 5-16-17

I am going to take an inexperienced friend fishing on Cayuga tomorrow because the weather is supposed to be nice.

I have everything to fish for trout and salmon, except a kicker motor. 

The questions are;

Will I be able to catch trout and salmon drifting sawbellies? Is there a best area on the lake? Depth?

Should I take them perching instead? What area of the lake? Launch site? Bait shop?

Thank you,

G

I have not trout fished Cayuga yet this year, so no help there.....

In my estimation you are about a month late for the perch on the north end, they seemed to be spawned out. For me at least, the last couple of weeks the perch have slowed to a trickle - lots of pickerel and lots of very small perch. Very few jumbos.

I have been launching at Union Springs, the bait shop that I have been using is Dave Webb in Throop or Bearwood in Skaneateles.

Caught a few lakers out in front of meyers yesterday. One on a spoon, one on a flasher fly. 5 gallon buckets tied out on the side of your boat like a trolling bag will slow you down, just cut about a 3" hole in the bottom. We were doing 2.0 to 2.4. Lots of marks and bait on the screen right out front of meyers. Drifting or jigging sawbellies would probably work too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 hours ago, darkwater1 said:

If you can get your boat down to 2.5-3 mph I would pull boards in close 

Thank you for the input on the perch fishing. 

Looks like it's trout/salmon fishing.

Thank you for the input fellas

I ran a spread of spoons and sticks on Saturday. Took a couple of guys from Colorado that were here visiting friends. Not much happened on spoons, however we stayed in close pulling 4 planers 2 flat lines and 2 downriggers with stick baits. Took a little over 20 fish. Some nice Lakers and salmon and some small dink salmon. Launched out of Meyers.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you again lakeontariounited'ers for the recommendations on fishing today.

Fished the west side below Taughannock along the shore with sawbellys and med shoners 5 ft below a bobber. Water temp was 47-50 degrees. Landed 5 LL's. Spent 7 hrs out there and all the activity was in 1 hr around 2:00, just after the rain stopped.

20170516_215326.jpeg