Otisco Tournament

The rules have been revised from what is on the website with the change to teams rather than individual. The entry fee hasn't changed which is still $25 each for members and $35 for non-members. the same points system will be used.

The changes are:

*No limit of anglers on boat but all have to be entered.

*Limit of 6 lines (baits) in the water per boat. Separate lines used only to tether boards or dipsy divers don't count.

*Points of all fish caught by all team members are added together.

*There will be an optional, winner take all, big fish pool which is $5 each to enter. All team members on the boat must be entered to qualify.

Teams rules are for boats. If you are a shore angler, check with tournament director, Zach.

Also, check with Zach about any special rules or exceptions regarding children.

Edited by muskiedreams

Any results from the tourney? Sounds like a good time and get together for all. Is it true just one tiger landed? 25 boats?

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

I caught nothing. Never saw one. Again. I've done every Otisco tournament and have one too short to enter fish to show for it. Still a good time though. Nice to see some of the younger guys there. I know once the season opens we all want to get out but maybe the tournament should be a couple weeks later when the weeds are up and more fish would be caught? Just thinking,I'll go whenever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sounds like it was a good time though. I fished it this am

Capt. Michael Weaver. Pure Fishing Ambassador

I caught nothing. Never saw one. Again. I've done every Otisco tournament and have one too short to enter fish to show for it. Still a good time though. Nice to see some of the younger guys there. I know once the season opens we all want to get out but maybe the tournament should be a couple weeks later when the weeds are up and more fish would be caught? Just thinking,I'll go whenever it is.

Mike, I've mentioned that exact thing to a couple of the guys. Even one week could make all the difference. Problem I see is guys will be to busy fishing for pures and the Otisco tournament will lose numbers of participants.
Great to see so many new faces, especially the young guys. The turn out easily doubled compared to prior years. Thank you to everyone who helped make it a great turnout!received_10213163859835742.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Someone on the Oneida lake diehards Facebook forum got a 41" from the rocks by the dam this morning

Mike, I've mentioned that exact thing to a couple of the guys. Even one week could make all the difference. Problem I see is guys will be to busy fishing for pures and the Otisco tournament will lose numbers of participants.
Great to see so many new faces, especially the young guys. The turn out easily doubled compared to prior years. Thank you to everyone who helped make it a great turnout!received_10213163859835742.thumb.jpeg.80e8b0f2b9002532d03c33a69398fec9.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good points. One week later would be Memorial day weekend and that could be a zoo. Maybe leave well enough alone. We're getting a good turnout. I'll stumble into a dumb one over 30 someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Walleyes are biting along smb, but no tiger action to speak of....I fished hard Sunday for tigers and had one good follow.  I've been out since before dawn for eyes today and haven't seen one  or had any tiger rips.  Screen is definitely looking better and I've marked a couple suspending finally.  

2 hours ago, bassandbucks said:

FYI. Remember the legal size limit for tigers on Otisco is 36", not 30".It's been that way since 2014.

Yes the state limit is 36" to keep a fish. The tournament is "catch and release" and for that, the minimum to enter in the points system is 30" which is worth 4 points. For every inch above that, another point is added (33" is 7 pts. and 35" is 9 pts. and so on). Since they are being released, fish under 36" (down to 30") are accepted and it is legal because they are released. If we used the legal size limit, the likelihood of no fish entered would be high. The same could be true at the Chautauqua tournament. Since the legal size for purebred muskies is 40", it is possible that there would be no, or very few, fish large enough to enter if we used the 40" state limit for the minimum size to enter. These size limits for the tournaments are for the purpose of the "catch and release only" tournament and not to be confused with the state size limit for harvest.

We understand that there is some confusion, especially in regard to Otisco Lake, since the size limit there is higher than other tiger musky waters in the state. There are exceptions for some waters that have both tigers and purebred muskies so you should check those regions for exceptions.

We are currently working on trying to get signs installed in key locations on Otisco lake to inform anglers of the special size regulation as well as proper release practices.

Edited by muskiedreams
Added last two paragraph