Lake Ontario Keeps Rising

WOW, man this is going to rais havoc on property owners big time!! If a over night of 20mph does this much damage, I can't even fathom what a week of winds would do. By Lord thats scary shyt for those land owners. Also this is going to put a big emphasis on the no-wake, if the law doesn't slow those boater down, or everyone doesn't practice this new law. I personally don't think they'll close the lake to all boaters, just because fishing is a multi billion dollar industry. But so is replacing people's yards through insurance companies, which I feel dictate a lot of what goes on in this country!!

I hope boaters show some respect for these homeowners, but then again, we're talking about some of those  boaters who don't respect other boaters.

Some sources say the lake level will crest as late as mid-June. I hope they are wrong...

Did you notice the size of the trees washed up on shore in the 2nd video? Boat buster's right there!

Edited by Todd in NY

45 minutes ago, jigstick said:

can't they "turn off" niagara falls to stop the inflow?

The simple answer is, Yes!

But... The "dark side" controls the valve from deep inside the death star, in a galaxy far far way...

7 hours ago, jigstick said:

can't they "turn off" niagara falls to stop the inflow?

No they can't. There is no dam above the falls. There is a dam on the US side of the river that diverts water through the power generating station and around the falls. So they can only divert water around the falls. You can take a boat from Lake Erie down the river to where the power plant is. The Welland River, slightly further down on the Canadian side, is about as far as boats are allowed. Past there it becomes rapids and rocks. You don't want to lose motor power there. 

Both sides of the river has underground tunnels that divert river water to power plants. The Canadians opened a new tunnel this year for more power generation on their side of the river. That water would only have gone over the falls and they do not purchase power from the New York Power Authority any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, muskiedreams said:

No they can't. There is no dam above the falls. There is a dam on the US side of the river that diverts water through the power generating station and around the falls. So they can only divert water around the falls.  

The control dam which sticks maybe a 1/4 mile into the river that is a solid mile wide at that point is located on the Canadian side. Its purpose is too slightly back up the water which ends up going into the water conduits that feed the power plants. Closing the gates would not do Ontario any good ,same amount of water ends up there