Ignition Issue

Ignition Issue

Having an off boating year.. I roughly puttered across Lake Ontario a few weeks ago. Figure I need new plugs since I had some bad gas issues that lasted a couple seasons. On Saturday I went walleye fishing. At the dock the boat tried turning over for a second and then nothing. It beeps when you turn the key, but not even a click. I have not put the new plugs in yet. Also the starter is brand new, but worked like a charm while on Ontario. Any ideas? Loose wire somewhere?

BTW, its a 90 HP Merc 4-Stroke EFI 2008

Make sure you do not have lead oxide build up on battery posts if they are gray instead of silver take apart and clean .Lead oxide is none conductive allso ck the red small wire for power on starter solinoid when key is in crank position that is the trigger for solonoid to activate the tarter .

Did you take notice if the starter drive isn't stuck in the flywheel, the motor actually spins the gear out of the teeth on the flywheel if it just just spun up slowly it could be jammed in the flywheel!! This has happened to me once or twice till I took a die grinder and took the rolled over edges off. Plus 22 years in the starter & alternator buisness you would of thought I would have caught this right away, this will also cause a "nothing works" situation. Check it out not saying this is the issue but stranger things do happen on a vessels :lol:

I took a closer look and got a second set of eyes and ears. When my daughter turned the key over there was a faint electrical pop at location 1 (see photo). When I tried to turn it over a 2nd time a small puff of smoke came out from behind the starter in the vicinity of what appears to be some sort of electrical panel to the right of the starter (bright silver square box in photo). I couldn't pinpoint the location exactely, but it has more worried. Feel like I need professional help...

2017-05-17 18.29.40.jpg

20170517_182341.jpg

I'm betting you have a bad connection or solenoid.. possibly causing the computer to run hot. Not sure. I deal with electrical issues daily on international trucks. Power can play mind games.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

turn key to on position jump the 2 large contacts o n the starter solenoid red /yellow with a screw driver this will send power to starter and should crank the  engine .If it does take a test light and see if you have key switch power to small wire on the  solenoid when someone holds key in crank position if you do you need a solenoid .

• 1 month later...

Usually smoking at any connection point of the heavy batt to solenoid, to starter cables is a bad connection or corrosion , including starter to block bad ground condition,  once key is in turned to start. First: Batt level 12.6 volts? Second inspect connections on any Perko or other batt isolator that may or may not be installed along the heavy cable lines then on to same inspection all the way to starter. That' where I'd start if I understand your smoke problem correctly. I have never run into anything other than the above somewhere along the run when it smokes on Start.

I'm with LakeBound on this one like mentioned above it you have power to the small red wire and it lights a test lite hooked to the metal part of the solinoid it's not a ground issue its The solinoid. Which will take a dump like that. I carry a spare one of those, along with lots of other paraphernalia!!

I have a 90hp Mercury. The rectifier on mine fried when I was 3 miles out on Lake O. THe electrical damageFried up several wire harnesses and a solenoid. Before it fried my tachometer stopped working. Do yourself a favor and have a professional look at it before yours fries up cost you a lot more $.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app