Autopilot

team38

I went through this 3 years ago.  You really have only 3 options.  

Option 1:  Switch to hydraulic steering and the sky is the limit to autopilots.

Option 2:  install a Raymarine Sportpilot

Option 3.  Install an Octopus drive, either at the helm or back by the assist cylinder, and use any Autopilot

electronic package you want with it.

I ended up installing the Raymarine Sportpilot with Evolution 200 Electronic package on my 22.5 Bayliner Express Cruiser.  It has worked well for me, trolling at walleye and salmon speeds.  Installation is pretty easy, and you could do it yourself.  The only thing that goes wrong with these, in  my experience, is the clutch pads in the drive unit.  Ive had mine replaced once.  Turn around time from Raymarine was 2 weeks, and no cost to me.

The Octopus helm and stern drive units are MUCH more robust than the Raymarine Sportpilot drive unit.  But installation is a little more involved.  However, once installed, they work just as well as the hydraulic drive units.  If my Sportpilot ever is "unserviceable", I will probably switch to the remote Octopus drive and keep my same electronics package.

Edited by jigstick

Yeah they are pretty robust drive units.  You'll need to measure the space behind your dashboard.  The Type T requires about 10in of depth to install.  And you'll most likely have to replace your drive cable with one compatible with the new helm.  The Sterndrive unit is a bit easier to install in my opinion, if you have the space and solid point to bolt it to.  

If you go with an Octopus drive unit, then you can use whatever electronics package you want.  I would personally go with one of the Garmin units.  They are super nice, and integrate well with chart plotters and sonars.  My Raymarine is really nice, don't get me wrong.  But I only chose it because I went with the ray marine sport pilot drive unit.  If I had used an Octopus, I would have used a Garmin autopilot package.

It depends.  Is your Lowrance NMEA 2000 compatible?  If so then it should work.  When I went through all of this I tried to match up my future sonar choices to what autopilot I was getting.  I have a Garmin 93SV Chartplotter / Sonar and I was able to integrate it with my Raymarine autopilot.  Tell me what "network" capability your Lowrance has and Ill see which autopilots will work for ya.  :yes::yes:

i just did some up dates to my boat , a four stroke and a intellisteer wireless remote steering .   i wanted to split up the cost of getting into an autopilot for a cable steer boat. so i got the helm  part done this year . i can used the remote steer part this year and get the brains and compass part next year . as above post check how much room you got under your dash . they do need 10 inches of room , i had an 1 inch to spear was a tight fit . it took the same type cable that i had in my boat . glad to see the information above about hooking to a lowrance chartplotter , thinking just need head unit of an autopilot now .

My Amberjack has power assist as well. I just installed the EV200 with the Octopus drive installed in the stern. Used it for a week and it worked well but I'm a little concerned when I use it when I use it with the port engine only. The port has no power and is a bit(# to steer when the starboard is not on. I'm afraid I might burn the Octopus out. I've been told to only use it with the port in calm seas with the autopilot because of that.  Thinking about having a new steering cable installed in the boat to see if that will help. Boat seems a little difficult to steer in general but I'm not sure if this is just the nature of power assist as this is my first twin and I have nothing to reference. Would be interested to hear others thoughts before I spend the $$ to replace all my steering cables.

3 hours ago, team38 said:

How well does the intellisteer wireless remote steering work?  

Sent from my SM-G935V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

intellisteer.com they have different models to choose from . mine is type s/ t for cable steer helms . it has a motor on the back of the steering helm and is controlled by a wireless receiver witch i can add an autopilot latter . i don't have power steering in my boat so the helm steering motor has no problems  steering the boat . 

In terms of the Octopus drive:

The Helm Octopus drive replaces your current helm.  The steering cable connected to your power assist cylinder goes through the motor on the Octopus drive.  There is a clutch mechanism on the Octopus drive, powered by electricity.  This power comes from the autopilot "electronics" package that you buy.  The software in the autopilot electronics turns the clutch "on" and "off", engaging the motor on the Octopus drive, which pulls or pushes your steering cable, thus steering the boat "right" and left".

The Octopus Sterndrive model is very similar.  It gets mounted back by your engine.  It comes with a 6ft steering cable, and some adapters, and slaves onto your power assist cylinder. It also has an electronic motor and clutch.  It gets wired to your autopilot electronics and works just like above.  

Hope this helps.

Correct.  For cable steered boats you can't use the hydraulic pumps.  You need hydraulic steering to do so.  Switching completely over to hydraulic steering isn't cheap.  But the hydraulic autopilot pumps are EXTREMELY robust and reliable.  

For cable steered boats you are pretty much left with using the Raymarine Sport Pilot, or an Octopus drive or similar styled product.  The Octopus drives have MUCH more substantial motors and clutches compared to the Raymarine Sportpilo.  The Sportpilot is super easy to install. If my power assist cylinder was easier to get access to I would have installed an Octopus.  But its a **** getting back there on my boat.