Trailer - Glad I decided to add two more bunks

jimalbert

Trailer - Glad I decided to add two more bunks

I decided to add two more bunks to my trailer for my Fishmaster because I wanted better support and 2 bunks just seemed under-engineered.  Boy am I glad I decided to do it.  Check these pictures out.  This is a Load-Rite trailer that was manufactured in 2008.  Im glad I found it, but i'm not glad the trailer is f*****.  Both Axle mounts cracked almost all the way through.  How in the hell does this stuff happen?  Roadways?  Now I have to try to find a replacement axle and get it done before the Derby.  

Jim

20170515_183728_resized.jpg

20170515_183736_resized.jpg

Both axcels cracked, meaning double axcel trailer both broke on the same side or single axcel trailer cracked on both sides??

The boat, wtih the 4 cylinder Mercruiser is listed right around 1500.  The trailer is rated at 2800.  The axle is torqued to the rear of the trailer as well.  You cant see it from the pics.  I just assumed the torquing of the axle was because it cracked and it allowed it to crank it back a little bit.

Jim

Heres the spec sheet on the boat.. .Mine is the 1961. The other thing to mention is the axle assembly that is on there is a 3750lb Torsion Idler Axle.  I attached the spec sheet for that too.

BoatSpecs.JPG

AxleSpec.JPG

Edited by jimalbert

1 hour ago, jimalbert said:

Single Axle that cracked on both sides.

That is a torsion axle for you. They are great if they aren't overloaded or near their max. I would highly recommend looking into a heavier torsion axle to replace it or add another. They are easy to add as you can see they are just U bolted on.

EDIT: Just saw the specs for that axle I would be adding another if it were possible. 

Edited by Chas0218

Dont think I can get another axle on there.  But just doing the math, 1450lb for boat, 500lbs for motor, 50 gallons of gas - 300lbs, 3 batteries 150lbs and some extra gear thats about 2500lbs...  Shouldn't be a problem for that axle.  And it appears that I am going to have a 3-4 week wait for the axle.  What a pain in the ass..

Jim

I thought about welding it but im not going to take the chance.  Just looks like im not going to be able to make the derby this year.  I did hit a pretty big pothole last year on my way home from Ontario but never thought it could crack that axle.  

Jim,

A competent welder can stitch that up for the time being to keep you on the road until the new axle comes in. Hard to tell from the picture, but my guess would be that a piece of angle could be fitted under or over it after welding it and weld that in place for reinforcement.

Just some thoughts so you're not down so long. Either way, good spot, glad you caught it.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:38 AM, jimalbert said:

I thought about welding it but im not going to take the chance.  Just looks like im not going to be able to make the derby this year.  I did hit a pretty big pothole last year on my way home from Ontario but never thought it could crack that axle.  

Torsion axles work great but they put a lot of stress on the mounting plates and frame compared to the leaf spring style. I would replace the axle then take the old one to a machine shop and have them straighten it and weld it back together and strengthen it. I would keep it for a spare so if this happens again.

Take the boat and trailer to a weight station you might be surprised on how much your setup weighs. I have an older boat with dry foam dry weight is 3100lbs. I figured with all my gear it was around 4200lbs. I went and weighed it she was 5100lbs. a lot more than I thought the trailer itself was a lot more than I figured. I'm not trying to tell you you're wrong but you might be surprised. I'm betting you are closer 3000lbs than you think. BTW the motor is over 500 fully dressed I would say right around 700lbs full of fluids. If your fuel tank is full your probably looking at a little more than 50 gallons either way that's 315lbs. minimum. That right there is 2465lbs. no gear no trailer. trailer is probably around another 400lbs. that puts you at right around 2900lbs. Add another 200lbs. for the lower unit and hardware puts you at ~3100 with no gear. I'm guessing you are pretty close to the max weight of that axle.

Edited by Chas0218

My weight numbers for your motor were a little light still. So taking that into consideration you are right at the limit of that axle.

Mercruiser.JPG

Edited by Chas0218

jim, can you move the axcel foreward? That would remove some tongue weight and would relieve the torque put towards the back half of the hanger brackets, what did, dad say, not more knowledgeable guys then pop & Henry, there the best, I know!!

37 minutes ago, pap said:

jim, can you move the axcel foreward? That would remove some tongue weight and would relieve the torque put towards the back half of the hanger brackets, what did, dad say, not more knowledgeable guys then pop & Henry, there the best, I know!!

I would probably do the opposite if he doesn't have 10% the trailer weight on the tongue. If he adds tongue weight it will reduce the amount of stress added to the axle. It's like supporting the weight at 2 points vs 3 points. I would also make sure the trailer is level while towing. The way trailer tows will be completely different when setup correctly.

You never know what can happen!  I had a metal bunk bracket crack last year.  2005 Yacht Club trailer.  Us guys with smaller crafts that are trailer queens need to realize how much abuse these trailers take.  Up until this happened I never thought about that.  Thinking back I guesstimated my trailer probably has 60,000 miles on it.  Then I thought of all the rail road tracks she's gone over and all the rough roads she's been down.  Yup...makes sense now.

I just had this conversation with my wife about our trailer, I think I might be at max weight and we tow 2.5 hrs to get to the lake,   I'm going to have it put on a scale... you should too...

• 3 weeks later...

Just to follow up, I have a good friend that is a really good welder and when he took a look he said he could repair it, and guarantee that it would never happen again happen again.. I weighed the boat on a scale with the trailer and it is well under the trailer capacity.  I did this with a full tank of fuel as well.  I didnt have any gear in the boat but I filled the livewell with water to compensate.  I also replaced the bunks and added a second set.  all of them are 10' bunks.  I cant believe that trailer only had 2 bunks to begin with.  Ultimately he cut off the old brackets and welded new 1/4" brackets on.  He also made another bend on the outside of the bracket where it meets the hub and didnt drill all the unnecessary holes.  That bend wasnt there previously and he said it would double the strength of the bracket.  Here's a pic.  He charged me 175 bucks and I didnt have to wait 8 weeks for an axle.

20170526_080454_resized.jpg

Edited by jimalbert

Being a welder and machinist by trade has got me out of many jams and like your friend 9 times outta 10 it will out last any bought item. Looks great seems like a trip in your rig for him is in order. Hope your back out fishing soon

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk