Blacks release .

Blacks release .

I like using braided line but it doesn't like my Blacks release, I find that it has a tendency to pull up to the top of the release pin and that causes a concern on will it release, I had times last year that I couldn't pop it from the boat and had to bring it up with the ball. So instead of changing my downrigger cable release setup I thought about trying some type of pad release for the braid that would also attach to the rigger cable via cable or chain. Or run it right off the ball itself.This pad release would have to function at both shallow and deep fow,good in current, etc. or are there any better ways to achieve the same. All replies are appreciated.

Edited by reillym
typo

Another option would be to use rubber band(s) half hitched a couple times around your braid and then put the rubber band into the blacks release.

Depending on how tight you have the release set either the release will trip or the rubber band(s) will break. 

31 minutes ago, mudflat said:

Another option would be to use rubber band(s) half hitched a couple times around your braid and then put the rubber band into the blacks release.

Depending on how tight you have the release set either the release will trip or the rubber band(s) will break. 

Nice tip :yes:

X2 on mudflats advice.  Are you making about a half dozen loops around your finger before putting the loop intot he arm of the release? If so it should hold in the crook in the arm of the release....unless maybe you are using the super slick braid?

45 minutes ago, mudflat said:

Thanks. I've tried the rubber bands and they work ok depending on the current, going down deeper it seems the braid cuts right through them,unless there is a better rubber band then the ones I got from Fish Usa a few years back with my riggers.

17 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

X2 on mudflats advice.  Are you making about a half dozen loops around your finger before putting the loop intot he arm of the release? If so it should hold in the crook in the arm of the release....unless maybe you are using the super slick braid?

That's another thought, I'm pretty sure I get 3-4 loops,trying the 6 might work

If those rubber bands were a few years old they may be too weak by now. Try going to the Dollar Store (or Michaels) in the girls hair department (no jokes please folks) and getting some of the very small rubber bands they use in their hair they are about the right breaking strength (approx. 3 lbs). 

rubberbands.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

19 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

If those rubber bands were a few years old they may be too weak by now. Try going to the Dollar Store (or Michaels) in the girls hair department (no jokes please folks) and getting some of the very small rubber bands they use in their hair they are about the right breaking strength (approx. 3 lbs). 

rubberbands.jpg

Ok, worth a try, I'll take my Granddaughter,lol