25 hp Yamaha question - water pump

Here's the scenario, changed the water pump last in 2016, she was pumping water at the dock before we left, started out a cross Cayuga Lake and sometime during that run she stopped pumping water. Motor overheated and we ended up going back to the dock using my 40 lb Minn Kota. After letting the motor cool down she did start and appeared to run at low rpm's although it was only for a little while. We have ordered a new water pump to be installed. My question is what are peoples opinion on long-term damage to the motor assuming the water pump fixes the problem and everything else seems to be OK? Now I'm afraid I'm going to have a confidence issue going far from the marina. What's your opinion and has this happened to you in the past? Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2003 Low E missions
That would be the best news I've heard all day. I have owned the boat for about five years now and have not had an ounce of trouble until this year. This year I have had to replace the starter and now this. It just seems to have a cloud hanging over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Normally just an alarm sounds, but then there is a failsafe after that on some models that goes into slow mode. If you didn't see steam boiling out of the pee hole or paint peeling from the head or it got so hot you could fry an egg on the head, there likely is no trouble. I would maybe look the specs up on headbolt torque, and check them just to be sure. In an extreme case of paint peeling off hot engine parts you might h8ave gasket issues. Beyond that it should be ok with new impeller or maybe a kit with the impeller and cup it sits in.

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!

Sounds like the impeller/pump may be the problem (edited the rest after noticing that it was a 25 hp engine and the computerized stuff mentioned probably didn't apply):lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Seeing how the "water pump" was replaced in 2016, there is only one season on it.  With that in mind, it should not have gone bad already.  It might be worth piece of mind to inspect the intake, the duct work from the pump, etc to see if it is clogged.  A year old water pump service should not have failed so badly, unless you run it in some serious muck, or something is clogged, disconnected, etc.  

The piece of mind thing is a smart topic. Did the motor shut down from a safety mech that is on the motor or did it stop on its own due to the heat? If it was the latter I'd do a little more investigating to verify no ring damage etc by maybe checking compression at min. If it's just a kicker to fish around the camp no big deal I guess but if your taking it across Cayuga etc it can really suck if she goes on you on the bigger lakes. Hank L&m on here along with some others are experts may chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Impellers are not all that sturdy and can be pretty easily deformed in a variety of ways rendering them nearly useless. I had one go bad and it didn't look real screwed up but it didn't seal properly and it affected its performance.

Thank you for all the input, parts have been ordered and should be in sometime tomorrow. Yes it is the main motor on a 16' smoker craft. My back up motor is a Minnkota trolling motor. The motor did start up and appeared to run fine after it cooled down. I am replacing the water pump assembly and the thermostat. Reading up on the engine, it appears that it has a safe shutdown mode if the temperature gets too hot. Apparently it throttles back the engine to keep it from getting to hot and hopefully that is what happened. Appears to have no paint peeling and no other signs at this point. I probably won't really know until I replace the water pump and get it out on the water. Unfortunately, that will be at this weekend's tournament on Cayuga Lake. So hopefully the black cloud will leave and if I do need help on the lake someone will come help me out like I have helped many others in the past. Again thank you very much for your time and good luck fishing next time you are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i had a 85 horse outboard that the impeller went bad replace it, the next time out the over heat alarm went off . i pulled the the thermostat on the water it ran cool rest of the day . another mistake i made i my time i put a new water pump in and the kit was for more than 1 motor i ended up using a wrong gasket shutting off a water port . lesson learned on my end , good luck getting your motor going 

If the old impeller disintegrated, be sure you get all pieces out of everything. I like to use petroleum jelly on the new one for initial startup. Run it in a tub if you can as a precheck. Hope she works for ya!

Money doesn't buy happiness,
but it does buy horsepower....
I've never seen a sad person in a boat haulin' A$$...!