size motor for trolling on a crestliner 1650

kempie

I am going to purchase a Crestliner 1650 and I was just wondering if a Mercury 4 stroke 60 horse would be alright for trolling. I don't want to bother with a kicker. Thanks!

I used a trolling plate on my engine for years. It controls the thrust off your propeller to slow your boat down and you can still steer with your wheel. First try your engine out and then put the trolling plate out if you think you need it. The four stroke engines run very smooth today and you may be fine with the new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Make sure you actually try out things before going the trolling plate route because I can troll down to 1.8 with my 135 Merc if necessary but it is a 2 stroke. I also have a stainless high speed prop. The older 2 stroke Merc 50 horse motors (probably one of the best ever made) would troll down to about 1.5 or so on a friends 16 ft Starcraft. Getting the right prop set up on it according to your intended use may be something to look at too.

Edited by Sk8man

1 hour ago, kempie said:

I am going to purchase a Crestliner 1650 and I was just wondering if a Mercury 4 stroke 60 horse would be alright for trolling. I don't want to bother with a kicker. Thanks!

Kempie, I have a  Crestliner  Fishhawk 1600sc (2014) with a Merc 50hp Bigfoot (four stroke). I can get down to trolling speeds for deep divers and spoons. If I need to go with a worm harness, I put two 18" bags out and can get down to or below 1 mph. Warranty on the motor prohibits me to drill and use a plate, but the bags work great.