Cayuga lake water temperature and fish migration

A lot of it relates more  to the positioning of the baitfish as they usually follow the baitfish patterns and it also may vary by species of the fish (e.g. lakers vs. landlocks etc.). Even time of day is a big factor combined with amount of sunshine because of the increased water clarity now and that is especially critical for browns. Water temperature is only one factor (and often important) but not always the main one.:) This is not just limited to Cayuga either.

Edited by Sk8man

It is a good example Ben.The landlocks and rainbows as well have varied diets which highly influence their behavior. You'll find the same thing about rainbows in mid June through much of July as insects hatch they will be out in the middle of the lake skimming the surface for bugs and often they won't touch trolled spoons but can be susceptible to a flyrod and flies. It is way out of their preferred temperature range then but their location is more determined by the availability of bait sources.

Edited by Sk8man

Dont wanna give to much info out with the derby there this weekend but yesterday we found the Lakers above the landlocks and that being said the landlocks were big and spunky we lost many more of those than we caught aswell as losing a Laker that was an easy 14lbs at the stern of the boat due to some terrible netting...:thinking: the fish are in and around bait for sure 

We pulled in to tremane at 10 (much later than we like but have to drop kids at school then get boat at Seneca then head over the hill to Cayuga) and guys coming in from lake said they got skunked. We headed out and dropped lines a few hundred yards from the drop-off, trolled eat along the drop-off then North to Myers point. Fished from 40 to 150 feet all the way up using spoons in riggers and spoons and stick baits off the boards. Speed was anywhere between 1.8 and 2.8. switched lures up several times, even tried across the lake and fished West side south for a mile, then pulled lines at 2pm - never moved a rod the entire time. Usually we'd have at least 6, closer to a dozen, but this Is the first time in 2 years we got skunked on Cayuga. Very, very few marks and zero bait the entire trip. Normally we'd see bait and marks all around Myers. Discouraging, but it beat working, we have a bunch of really clean lures now, and it was a nice day for a boat ride!

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've tried some light fishing last two evening along east side south of Myers. Marked tons of fishes but zero bites....Last weekend it was pretty successful doing lazy fishing( depth from 14 to 20 feet stickbaits only) in that area. Now I should say that last weekend i wasn't fishing in late afternoon or early evening. It was early morning and most fish we caught was between 6-9 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United