Hope to eradicate Zebra mussels

It's my understanding that the zebra mussels in L Ontario have been replaced by the quagga mussel nd the zebras are all but extinct

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, GAMBLER said:

If it does not affect native muscles / animals / plants, I'm all for it. 

I'm thinking it will not kill the native muscles. It seems as though it shouldn't affect plant or wildlife being a dead organism.

Here is an excerpt from http://marronebioinnovations.com/zequanox-achieves-100-mortality-for-invasive-mussels-in-minnesota-lake/ :

Composed of dead cells derived from a naturally occurring soil microbe, Zequanox controls mussels in all life stages. Unlike toxic treatments, such as potash and copper-based solutions, Zequanox is biodegradable and noncorrosive. In addition, Zequanox is highly selective to control only the invasive zebra and quagga mussels, is effective in a broad range of water conditions and according to the EPA, its active ingredient has “low toxicity and presents little risk to non-target organisms.”

Edited by Chas0218

6 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

The Great Lakes are a public drinking water source and adding a chemical would subject a court action that will make lawyers very happy.

Most drinking water facilities are advanced enough that it would not be an issue. 

48 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

The Great Lakes are a public drinking water source and adding a chemical would subject a court action that will make lawyers very happy.

Yes but it is not a chemical it is a dead organism. If you look at the article I posted it goes into detail that there is no re-entry time, 100% safe to people.

Well, it sounds good to me, I give those young ladies and men the best round of applause!! I'm no scientist, so I can't say one way or another on the backlash, all I can say is it would be a one the greatest accomplishments in my little world to see LadyO with a blue/green tint to the water again, and the fishing return to the ways I remember it. 

After 26 years in a water treatment plant I can from say if copper sulfate is found on the premise, you are in deep do-do from the health department. It was used to kill algae but the dead algae decayed and the oil from the decay resulted in bad tasting drinking water. Similar results would happen from billions of dead mussels that sudddenly died.

The mussels take up the algae as food and water cleared up to crystal clear from them. But where do the zoo plankton find the algae to survive and the fry of every fish from minnows to bass and walleye feed on the zoo plankton mass. The food chain needs to be maintained for you to have good results fishing. The blue water of mountain lakes have very poor fish production while Lake Erie is the greatest fish producer in the world.

Granular Activated Carbon has changed the game. GAC gets rid of taste and odor issues in water treatment. You can also use Potassium Permanganate or Sodium Permanganate to help with taste and odors.

The chlorination of sedimentation basin water killed the algae which decayed and tainted the water. Sedimentation basins are now cleaned continuously instead of semi annually and activated carbon additional added to better tasting potable water.