crestliner 1650 motor size for trolling

I have a 1650 with the 90 Mercury. I troll the finger lakes frequently, as well as Oneida and the St Lawrence.

My 90, at the slowest will get me to 1.8-1.9 knots ( ~2.0 mph) - speed over the ground using GPS on the Lowrance.

To go slower, I have two trolling bags,  (18" Amish Outfitters).

If I deploy both bags, one each from the front cleat, I can go as slow as 0.7 to 0.9 mph.

Bear in mind I did these tests on a calm day, in a lake with no noticeable current and near zero winds.

The bags are also great for casting for Walleyes in windy conditions, it slows the boat drift speed appreciably. Just remember that they are out at the end of the drift!

My brother has the 1650 with a 60 HP, he seems to troll about the same speed as my 90, maybe a little slower.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

17 hours ago, cny_mike said:

I have a 1650 with the 90 Mercury. I troll the finger lakes frequently, as well as Oneida and the St Lawrence.

My 90, at the slowest will get me to 1.8-1.9 knots ( ~2.0 mph) - speed over the ground using GPS on the Lowrance.

To go slower, I have two trolling bags,  (18" Amish Outfitters).

If I deploy both bags, one each from the front cleat, I can go as slow as 0.7 to 0.9 mph.

Bear in mind I did these tests on a calm day, in a lake with no noticeable current and near zero winds.

The bags are also great for casting for Walleyes in windy conditions, it slows the boat drift speed appreciably. Just remember that they are out at the end of the drift!

My brother has the 1650 with a 60 HP, he seems to troll about the same speed as my 90, maybe a little slower.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

One other thing when I used bags, they actually like stabilize the boat in waves your boat won't bob around like a cork. I miss that part since I went to a kicker. Great post cyn:yes: !!!