Kicker motor or NOT

Kicker motor or NOT

I got my first I/O have always had outboards it came with a 15hp kicker.  So have fished with kicker and with I/O with drift socks in order to get slow enough to troll. My question is does it hurt the I/O any to troll with it the kicker is ok but I just feel I have more control of the boat with the I/O not to say the I/O is much quieter.  Any input on this issue???

i/o's sometimes are starved for oil at low rpm. A lot of guys run bigger socks to rev the engine higher and allow the Better lubrication. Other than hours on the big motor, more often oil changes, security of your big motor goes down, there are actually a lot of nice perks to a kicker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Never thought about oil starvation. I run my 3.0 merc with 2 24in bags and can get down to around 2mph and still have decent rpms I don't have kicker tho so not much of a choice...(take it for what it's worth I am very very new to trolling) but I really liked how my set up preformed on the water for the first time

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have trolled with the main moters for years in both my four winns and striper boats,  bags off the sides and r.p.m.s.  at 800-1000 to get to speed needed,  just do the correct oil changes and there was never a problem,  I pulled out drive every year to grease too...  

I don't know what size motor you have for the main in your boat, my motors bored .30 over which in turn makes it a 355 v.s. A 350 that motor drinks fuel by the gallons, where my 15hp Evinrude I can troll all day on 3 gallons of fuel. Plus like Chas mentions also having another motor. I came from Galloo island to across to Pillar Point on my kicker when I blew my lower unit!!

My other boat with I/O I had a trolling plate and you couldn't beat it....until the motor went down and I had to be towed in. My new boat has a kicker which in itself is worth it's weight in gold just knowing I have a secondary way to get in, may be slow but it's going to get me in. 

If you are going to spend all your time fishing doing nothing but trolling a kicker will be a benefit.   If it is a few times here and there I think the kicker isn't always needed.

Just depends on your fishing style.

On 5/17/2017 at 10:20 PM, Luck eEe Spoon said:

Thanks guys that's all good info and appreciate it and I'm sure my big motor would suck though gas also its a big one 5.8 omc Cobra v8 

I was not going to promote a kicker although I would not go out without one, but when you mentioned that your main engine is an OMC Cobra ,it caused me to react. The track record on those engines is not great and that kicker is much needed insurance!

52 minutes ago, rolmops said:

I was not going to promote a kicker although I would not go out without one, but when you mentioned that your main engine is an OMC Cobra ,it caused me to react. The track record on those engines is not great and that kicker is much needed insurance!

And what would you base that assumption on? 

All it takes is one time of beng stranded out there and you'll be falling in love with the kicker :lol: The added benefit of gas consumption difference  and speed control will be secondary but positive considerations. I know I'll never be without one again....

Edited by Sk8man

My experience with the OMC  Cobra   has been expensive and disastrous and after some reading up on the subject it seems that I am not the only one.

Edited by rolmops

A kicker gives you the piece of mind of never being stranded and extra confidence if you have a POS like me. Also, docking with a kicker is childs play, especially when you can roll in at 1.3 knots as opposed to 3 knots. it makes a big difference. Less wear and tear on your main motor, i have an OMC Cobra and it is one issue after the other.... Sk8man has it nailed!!! Fishing aside, i can now take my children out on the water without freaking out. Definitely worth the investment, (i bought a Merc 9.9 Xtra long shaft with a 4 bladed propeller, my boat is 3900 dry and it tops out at 5 knots)

I'll never go on the lake again without my kicker. I took it off one weekend to do some work to it back home, but didn't get the kicker completed before I came back to the lake. Took the boat out without the kicker and the main engine died coming back in late afternoon. Wouldn't restart. I had to call for help and be towed in from about 5 miles out. Kicker would have saved the day.

Sent from my XT1060 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My 90 hp Evinrude is now 25 years old and ran like New yesterday. It needs a set of spark plugs a couple times a year and I can change them in five minutes out on the lake. Still cheaper than a $15,000 new engine. Any way my 9.9 Honda kicker brings me back at 7 mph if I need it. The Honda idles down to less than one mph for bottom bouncing in 80 foot of water. If the old Evinrude gives out, I would possibly jerk it off and use the Honda. I do not care to travel above 25 mph so maybe a 70 hp four stroke will suffice then.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United