Viewing fish on side imaging

Viewing fish on side imaging

Hey guys.  I am in the market for a new helix unit with side imaging.   I was about to buy the helix 9 si/gps combo unit. And then I read a couple reviews that said you can't see fish well with the helix 9 SI, and that you needed to buy a 10 to actually be able to see fish with a shadow, cause only the 10 or better can do that. Does anyone know if that's true.  It's like a 400$ jump from one to the other, and it's a jump I don't wanna take if I don't have to! Haha. I just don't wanna buy into side imaging with the helix 9 and only be able to see structure not fish...  if anybody could help me make this decision, and maybe give some feedback if they have either of these units, I would greatly appreciate it

i have a helix 7 and side imaging is a wast of money you cant see fish screen is way to small plus you need to mount on a trolling motor or a pole and wont work of you transom.I have heard you need at least a 12 inch!

I fished with a 798 si unit for years and with small screens it's really only useful for following or finding structure.  I have the 12 inch helix mega imaging unit and the detail is incredible, but so is the price.  My 9 inch helix only has downscan but the detail seems pretty good to me. Esox only on here has the 10 and loves his.  These units are just tools....it's up to you to be able to read and use them.  One side note is if you plan to mark structure waypoints using your si you need the GPS puck if you want them to be any bit accurate.  If you only make waypoints "under the boat" it isn't needed.

I have a Helix 12 Chirp with side imaging and the 360, I can see fish with the side imaging and on the 360. I find the side imaging to be just about worthless if your fishing deep water. I mainly use the side and 360 for bass and muskie fishing, you cant beat it for finding structure and following weed lines. The 12 is HUGE if you get one get the big ram mount. I wish my dash was bigger to give me more space for it. I'm thinking of upgrading mine to a mega soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app