First time using lead core

First time using lead core

Hey guys.  I'm new to the lady O trout game.  I just got 2 new trolling rods and reels and I'm gonna spool em up with this lead core I picked up the other day. I'm gonna set em up for trolling spoons for browns.  What is the best way to spool a line counter reel up with this stuff?  What should I use for a backer? And what should I go with for a leader for browns.  I don't wanna go with too heavy a fluorocarbon.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_1740.JPG

It would help to know the reels because line capacity is an important consideration as far as backing and the number of colors you'll be able to use. Another question is are they just going to be dedicated to use for browns (eg. Spring fishery) or general use throughout the season? That is important because if intending to doing much King fishing as well the lb test of the backing will change as will the number of yards viewed as necessary. For example you may be able to get away with 300 yds of braid for a dedicated brown rig fished during the Spring but you'll want at least 450yds and desirably 600 yds backing for kings.. 10 lb fluoro for the leader for browns 20 for general fishing for kings. You have presented two different diameters of lead core in the pics - they differ in terms the amount that  may go on the reels which in turn influences how much backing and even the lb test used. You won't generally need as much backing or as heavy lb test backing if the reels are dedicated to just brown fishing. Usually 20- 30 lb braid will suffice as backing  for browns which will allow the use off inline boards with the core but during chinook season this will be considered "light" and 40 or 50 lb would be a better choice if chinooks may be encountered. It should be noted that during the peak water flea season in the summer months a lot of folks forego the use of braid and leadcore because it quickly loads up with fleas.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Thank you for that response. Yes I am only gonna be fishing in the spring for browns and maybe the occasional coho. I got the 2 different lb tests because I wasn't sure which to go with.  But the reels Okuma Magda pro MA30DX both of them, and they say they are go for 510 yards of 15lb test or 310 yards of 25lb test.  What ya think for those setups

One of the things I didn't mention in the above post is that much if not most of Spring brown fishing is done in pretty shallow water in early Spring especially. Leadcores get down about about 5 ft per color at roughly 2 mph boat speed so a leadcoore setup with many colors may not be the best idea for that type of fishing especially if fished off boards that go close to shoreline as you'll hang up on bottom:). Later on in late Spring when they move out deeper and when the thermocline is forming  is when the leadcore may excel when you can run more colors to get down deeper which is a main purpose of leadcore in the first place. In early Spring in the shallows (say 5-20 ft) and sometimes right up next to shore where the water warms quickest you may be better off with just straight toplines off inline planer boards for the browns with either floating Rapala type stick bait lures or very light weight small to medium spoons run way back behind the boat (say 50-200 ft back). As you move your trolling out a bit from shore (i.e. a little deeper)  it can help to put 1 or 2 large split shot from 3-6 ft ahead of the lure to get it down a bit but not too much to snag up and it may help keep weeds off the lure itself. The Cohos (not real prevalent these days) may respond to this setup as well and as you get into deeper water you can shorten up on the lines abit as they will sometimes come right into the propwash for lures when actively feeding. If you are feeling adventurous you can run downriggers with lighter weights (e.g. 8 lbs or so) with longer leads than usual and run them down just a few feet  in the shallows you really have to stay on your toes to avoid potential hangups.

Edited by Sk8man

As far as the 30 DX setups they should work fine for brown fishing and  If you plan to run them with inline boards I'd use 20 lb braid for the mainlines and  as much as you can get on the reels with room for the fluoro leader. If just using without boards the 15 lb mono suggestion for main line above should work with 10 lb fluoro leaders.