Electric reels

Electric reels

I know this was discussed before but the comments didn't answer my question.

Both of my fishing partners had accidents last year, one is my son, and now have limited use of their right arm. They can't reel in a salmon anymore. Would an electric reel, such as a Daiwa Tanacom, enable them to still fish with me? From the reviews it seems that the reel can retrieve line but can you use it to fight a fish? The reels are a lot of money but these guys have been fishing with me for years and I don't want to fish alone.

I have an older Miya Epoch. The reel operated like most reels, you lower the rod tip and bring in line. You would have to press the retrieve button lowering the rod and release the button with every lift or pump of the rod. You can't really just press the button and hold it until the fish is in the net. It would be like landing a fish with a rod in a rod holder and just turning the crank of the reel continually - not very productive. 3-4 lb. of drag on an electric reel is the same as 3-4 lb. of drag on a traditional manual reel. You have to fish it the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Electric reels I know this was discussed before but the comments didn't answer my question.
Both of my fishing partners had accidents last year, one is my son, and now have limited use of their right arm. They can't reel in a salmon anymore. Would an electric reel, such as a Daiwa Tanacom, enable them to still fish with me? From the reviews it seems that the reel can retrieve line but can you use it to fight a fish? The reels are a lot of money but these guys have been fishing with me for years and I don't want to fish alone.

I have 2 of the Tanacom reels. One 500 and one 750.

Short answer is yes you can use them to reel in fish

Long answer. These are great reels with a lot of bells and whistles that you will probably never use but can be used for salmon fishing. They have a star drag system just like a conventional reel. You will still have to " work the fish" with pumping the rod to gain line.

Things to watch on these reels are:

1. They are super smooth and have a clutch system - NO CLICKER. So it is up to the user or someone watching closely if you are gaining line or the fish is taking line.

The menus on the reel itself can be confusing and the ones I have are in Japanese ( I believe )
Def not English. Not sure if they all are

I use mine with a standard power cord that just clips onto my house batteries. I do run into issues with the cable being limited to reach certain sides of the boat

I only run mine when I have disabled or older guys on board. I do a lot of the wounded warrior events and they do work great.

I have seen the larger ones used for coppers and have even seen a charter use one for a dipsy setup.

One last suggestion would be run your best lure or setup on this rod. If you are looking to get someone into a fish it just limits them to this one rod

Hope this helps

'Bout Time
Mike