Kicker motor.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 21 ft Thompson boat. I have completely gutted interior and rebuilt everything. Boat has a 305 under the dog house which I use for both trolling and motoring. My next step is to build a new swim platform on the boat and would like to put a kicker center ship off the swim platform. I see a lot of boats running 15 hp or 20hp kickers. I have a mint 35 hp Johnson that has been rebuilt to almost new. It's from the early 80s. My question is this over kill for the boat. It's a 2 stroke and it's my understanding that this motor weight is not much compared to some of the bigger 4 stroke kickers guys are running now. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

boy that would be  big kicker.. I suppose if the mount you  wind up using is stout enough, and the transom is sound you will be ok.. That 35  is a lot of kicker, but if you have it, trust it, and can mount it securely it will be fine. Personally I would  go with a 15 HP  2 stroke with high torque prop.. Are you wanting to use the 35 for power and speed,or simply because you have it on hand???...You are correct   in the fact that 35 won't weigh much more than a modern 20 HP 4 stroke

Use as a trolling motor. Or as a back up in case of main motor failure. I know it isn't ideal for size but it is also free. Use it on a smaller boat that I don't use much anymore but want to keep. Doesn't take me long to switch it back to the other boat if the need arises. Kind of I swing what I have on hand at this time.

A couple points  of concern.. First,  most swim platform mounts are rated for 20 HP max.
 There may be some I am not aware of rated higher, but I have my doubts...
 I understand the weight differential between a 20 HP 4 stroke is not that much, but there is a huge power differential.

Personally, i wouldn't go that much over rating, but its not my setup,  I don't know it,and you know  do of course.
 Second, a 35 as a trolling motor??... Again, its only personal opinion, but thats overkill.. If you run it at idle, you might be ok as far as speed, but typically older 2 strokes get cranky when idled for long periods, and start loading up and fouling plugs, stalling etc,,,
 I would think a nice 15 or 20 max would be a better way to go.. Have  you considered selling your 35??.. either that, or swap it straight across for a clean 15 or 20... best of lick no matter what you decide... bob

I understand your points just trying to use what I already have. The motor right now sits on a older mirror craft that is not much more than a row boat and will troll all day without loading up. I want to keep motor because I will use that boat in smaller water. Like I said before I know it's not perfect but financially a new 15 to 20 hp is out of the question. I thought if I could troll with the little boat at around 2 mph at a idle I should actually be working the motor a little harder on a bigger boat wich in theory should be better for the 2 stroke. As far as brackets go was going to fabricate them my self. I don't know just like the idea of having the second motor for the just incase times and also save the hours on the main motor. Thank you for your response just don't know what the best options are. The main motor I have a trolling plate on and also have bags but the insurance of having a second means of propulsion is a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

41 minutes ago, lily said:

I understand your points just trying to use what I already have. The motor right now sits on a older mirror craft that is not much more than a row boat and will troll all day without loading up. I want to keep motor because I will use that boat in smaller water. Like I said before I know it's not perfect but financially a new 15 to 20 hp is out of the question. I thought if I could troll with the little boat at around 2 mph at a idle I should actually be working the motor a little harder on a bigger boat wich in theory should be better for the 2 stroke. As far as brackets go was going to fabricate them my self. I don't know just like the idea of having the second motor for the just incase times and also save the hours on the main motor. Thank you for your response just don't know what the best options are. The main motor I have a trolling plate on and also have bags but the insurance of having a second means of propulsion is a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you like that motor, and it idles down low enough to troll without loading up, than really you are golden as far as operation... The only question now is the actual mount for the swim platform.. If you have the capability to fabricate something good and stout, why not?... There are   maniacs out there with boats your size with twin 175's on the transom.. You should be fine as long as your  platform mount is good and strong... bob

Thanks for the replies I have remotes for the throttle and shifting steering however I haven't quite figured out yet. I want to mount it in the middle of the platform so not sure how to remote steer it to the main with out wireless steering system.