Which Rods/Reels For Walleye?

Todd in NY

Todd, I'm a bottom bouncer guy and here's my not very expensive  setup: Okuma Classic levelwind on a medium action 6 1/2 - 7 Ugly stick. I like the smaller 200 reel size to save weight and really,  how much line do  you need to fish down in 25 -50 ft of water? Those reels have a nice size crank also.

Main line is 20 lb braid to cut the water easily, with a 5 ft flouro leader to the bouncer. Lures are also pulled behind a rod length of flouro. I'm sold on Seaguar Blue Leader material in 20 lb. Could go lighter if fish are smaller and bottom isn't lined with zebras. I fish a minefield and need the strength and abrasion resistance. Braid can't handle it. This is a no stretch setup, so you've got to let your drags and rods do the work! I absolutely think the Seaguar is worth the cost.

Years ago I started paying attention to terminal tackle and found that if you don't need a swivel, DON'T USE ONE. My stickbaits are always pulled behind a good quality duolock snap, lightest wire one you  feel safe with. Swivel is on the bottom bouncer end anyway.

For kicks, tie two Rapalas on test leads. Put one on a snap swivel and the other on a loop knot so it can work side to side. You'll see what I mean. The duolock is a good compromise. It's the little things.

I guess I'm in the same boat as Todd. Going to Guffin Bay this week to try something other than 18" Oneida Lake cigars.

Never been there, so I'm not sure what I can run into at this time of year. I was told the fish may be a lot heavier than Oneida.

My on hand rods for trolling are:

9' Ugly sticks (light to 20lb) paired with Penn 320's with 17lb mono and a 6 foot 12lb leader.

6'6" St Croix's (med/hvy to 20lb) paired with Garcia 5600's with 14lb mono and a 4 foot 10lb leader.

I have two walleye boards and some off shore tadpole weights, 1 1/4oz each.

Just wondering.

1 hour ago, Prof T said:

Todd, I'm a bottom bouncer guy and here's my not very expensive  setup: Okuma Classic levelwind on a medium action 6 1/2 - 7 Ugly stick. I like the smaller 200 reel size to save weight and really,  how much line do  you need to fish down in 25 -50 ft of water? Those reels have a nice size crank also.

Main line is 20 lb braid to cut the water easily, with a 5 ft flouro leader to the bouncer. Lures are also pulled behind a rod length of flouro. I'm sold on Seaguar Blue Leader material in 20 lb. Could go lighter if fish are smaller and bottom isn't lined with zebras. I fish a minefield and need the strength and abrasion resistance. Braid can't handle it. This is a no stretch setup, so you've got to let your drags and rods do the work! I absolutely think the Seaguar is worth the cost.

Years ago I started paying attention to terminal tackle and found that if you don't need a swivel, DON'T USE ONE. My stickbaits are always pulled behind a good quality duolock snap, lightest wire one you  feel safe with. Swivel is on the bottom bouncer end anyway.

For kicks, tie two Rapalas on test leads. Put one on a snap swivel and the other on a loop knot so it can work side to side. You'll see what I mean. The duolock is a good compromise. It's the little things.

Thanks for the tips! I like to think outside the box to give myself more options.

Im not familiar with walleye fishing on Ontario, but I can tell you that on Erie, this time of year, you're looking for the post spawn bite.  The fish should be fairly shallow at night, and slightly deeper during the day.  If they are truly post spawn, you can get into some feeding frenzy.  Line diameter and mono vs fluorocarbon may not make as much of a difference.  

Later in the season walleye on Erie can become a little "line shy" if you ask me.  17lb mono would be way to thick if you ask me.  This is the reason that I just spool my entire reels with 12lb Trilene Professional Fluorocarbon.  When the walleye get picky I think it definitely helps.  Ill use 15lb flouro leader on my dipsy rods.

The other small detail that I think has made a difference is which swivel you use.  Use good barrel swivels with the smallest snap lock you can find.  Like 12-15lb size.  Using larger clunky swivels / clasps put a horrible action on stick baits.  If your stick baits are running funky the bite seems to go down.

1 hour ago, jigstick said:

Im not familiar with walleye fishing on Ontario, but I can tell you that on Erie, this time of year, you're looking for the post spawn bite.  The fish should be fairly shallow at night, and slightly deeper during the day.  If they are truly post spawn, you can get into some feeding frenzy.  Line diameter and mono vs fluorocarbon may not make as much of a difference.  

Later in the season walleye on Erie can become a little "line shy" if you ask me.  17lb mono would be way to thick if you ask me.  This is the reason that I just spool my entire reels with 12lb Trilene Professional Fluorocarbon.  When the walleye get picky I think it definitely helps.  Ill use 15lb flouro leader on my dipsy rods.

The other small detail that I think has made a difference is which swivel you use.  Use good barrel swivels with the smallest snap lock you can find.  Like 12-15lb size.  Using larger clunky swivels / clasps put a horrible action on stick baits.  If your stick baits are running funky the bite seems to go down.

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'm in the same boat as Todd. Going to Guffin Bay this week to try something other than 18" Oneida Lake cigars.
Never been there, so I'm not sure what I can run into at this time of year. I was told the fish may be a lot heavier than Oneida.
My on hand rods for trolling are:
9' Ugly sticks (light to 20lb) paired with Penn 320's with 17lb mono and a 6 foot 12lb leader.
6'6" St Croix's (med/hvy to 20lb) paired with Garcia 5600's with 14lb mono and a 4 foot 10lb leader.
I have two walleye boards and some off shore tadpole weights, 1 1/4oz each.

Just wondering.

His luck out there this week Baitbucket! Guffins bay is right out in front of my house. There are some good fishing out in the bay and some nice muskies also if you know where and when to fish them. I like to walk out during the winter and ice fish when the ice is safe but it hasn't been good for that in couple of years in Guffins.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

(Note, I'm fishing the St Mary's river system and bays along Superior and Huron). For walleye I use Okuma Convector CV15D and CV20D with 8ft-6" downrigger rods. My favorite rod is the cheap yellow Eagle Claw. Our Dunhams sells them for $20. For line I use green or clear Trilene XT 17lb mono with a 12lb seaguar fluoro leader. I also rig up reels with 3 and 5 color leadcore. To mix things up I will run 1 or 2 spinning reels with 20 pound power pro braid. I have found over the years that I prefer smaller reels (the 15 and 20 size). I like the robustness of the CV series, while many of my friends like the sensitivity of the LCAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Laker Taker!

You're welcome. I talked to a couple 'almost pro' walleye fisherman and they are either using CV, Coldwaters, or LCAs...in the smaller sizes. Also popular right now in the walleye community are the Okuma telescoping rods, they will fit in rod lockers. I don't have any, I just use my downrigger rods. I just purchased 2 Cabelas 9 foot medium action rods (18.99 each) for my spinning reels. Whuppin' Sticks. Very nice rods for the money!!! I've seen guys use these for surf fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just another option but you may be able to pick up a couple Diawa 27H or 47 H's on here inexpensively and go with either the Daiwa Wilderness or Okuma GLT's. The reels have decent line capacity for using boards etc. and good drags and work well for fishing eyes. Both those rods have pretty flexible tips for detecting light hits. The 47H's can also double for salmon use n case you needed extra lines..

Edited by Sk8man

I have eight each of the daiwa dxw planer board rods and the Fenwick Eagle Planer board rods. They are both telescoping and are 8 ft. Both are great rods. My reels are all Abu Garcia. I have eight of the 6500 Ambassador linecounters. 6 of the Abu Alphamar line counters. I also have six of each with digital line counters with lights on them but all the digitals are prototypes. You can definitely get away with cheaper set ups but walleye fishing is my passion. I use Berkley Pro Spec Chrome for my mono reels in 12lb. Others have 20lb Smoke Fireline.

Sent from my XT1565 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

22 hours ago, Landshark said:

I have eight each of the daiwa dxw planer board rods and the Fenwick Eagle Planer board rods. They are both telescoping and are 8 ft. Both are great rods. My reels are all Abu Garcia. I have eight of the 6500 Ambassador linecounters. 6 of the Abu Alphamar line counters. I also have six of each with digital line counters with lights on them but all the digitals are prototypes. You can definitely get away with cheaper set ups but walleye fishing is my passion. I use Berkley Pro Spec Chrome for my mono reels in 12lb. Others have 20lb Smoke Fireline.

Sent from my XT1565 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Landshark, much appreciated!