Frozen Herring

Frozen Herring

Hi All - New to this site.  I used to live in MI and fished Lake Huron and MI pretty much every weekend from May to November.  I moved for work and was forced to get out of the salmon gig.  Moved a second time for work and now I'm within 3 hours of Lake O, living in NE PA.  In MI one of my most productive rigs was cut bait using Green Label Herring.  When I left the scene, Green Label was getting hard to find.  After looking online for the past few days, it appears that it still is.  I plan to fish southern Lake O from Buffalo to Rochester this year.  Can a person find Green Label through that area, or any other kind for that matter?  Can I get it shipped to me frozen?  

Any help is appreciated.

In Alaska and Puget Sound I always used frozen herring for salmon and halibut fishing. What we have here are sporting goods outlets that have invested a lot in lures and they need to move their inventory. Frozen herrings, smelt and alewives would work if you could find them but sales outlets are reluctant to have them compete with their investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

9 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

In Alaska and Puget Sound I always used frozen herring for salmon and halibut fishing. What we have here are sporting goods outlets that have invested a lot in lures and they need to move their inventory. Frozen herrings, smelt and alewives would work if you could find them but sales outlets are reluctant to have them compete with their investment.

Or better yet live herring (shocked) from the Bait box on Possession Point.... I do miss having crab pots full of dungeness to check at the end of the day.

28 minutes ago, Polish Monkey said:

Frozen Herring

Hi All - New to this site.  I used to live in MI and fished Lake Huron and MI pretty much every weekend from May to November.  I moved for work and was forced to get out of the salmon gig.  Moved a second time for work and now I'm within 3 hours of Lake O, living in NE PA.  In MI one of my most productive rigs was cut bait using Green Label Herring.  When I left the scene, Green Label was getting hard to find.  After looking online for the past few days, it appears that it still is.  I plan to fish southern Lake O from Buffalo to Rochester this year.  Can a person find Green Label through that area, or any other kind for that matter?  Can I get it shipped to me frozen?  

Any help is appreciated.

I have been told by all who I asked that herring dont hold up in fresh water.  Are you fishing cut plug or meat rigs?  I would love to try drifting cut plug herring on the niagara bar

Edited by cabezon99
spelling

I would like to add a flasher with a rubber squid lure also was used when the herring was used. The flasher attracted salmon to all the lures.

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, bondouley said:

We are using meat rigs. The will hold up if you salt them good then put them in brine . We have times when we take more than 1 fish on a single fillet. Our team always cut our own it's is much cheaper per fillet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When your talking about brine, what is it and where do you get it, never used it but I always here people do.Thanks