Lower unit oil

Was reading online I can check lower unit oil level from dipstick on top of drive. Alpha 1 unit. Also how do I add if needed I do have oil pump and oil just wasn't sure if I had to pump it in from bottom or could add thru fill hole thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

To the best of my knowledge with a alpha 1 you have a fill hole in the bottom bullet and a relief hole on the side of the top set of gears. You take the top screw out,,,fill from the bottom until it starts coming out the top side hole and then put the two machine screws back in,top first then bottom.  If in the water you could take the top cover off and see where the oil is in relation to the screw hole and fill it from there as long as there was gear oil in the upper section to begin with. The reason for bottom to top is to purge all the air out while filling it. Never seen a dipstick on a closed system like that.

Just trying to figure out how to check it without full drain I had it professionally winterized in October so I'm pretty sure it's good but don't like to leave things to chance especially with all the work I've put in last few weeks

If its on land just remove the top screw and oil should start to creep out. Like I said you can always take the 4 bolts off the top with a 12 point wrench or socket and look down to where the overfill screw is and see where the oil is in relation to that.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

If its on land just remove the top screw and oil should start to creep out. Like I said you can always take the 4 bolts off the top with a 12 point wrench or socket and look down to where the overfill screw is and see where the oil is in relation to that.

Early Alpha 1 gen 2 had the dipstick in the center of the top cover. Check in down and level position be VERY careful taking the top cover off he upper gear housing. There are shims under the cover that set backlash on upper gears. Losing any spells catastrophe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

6 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Thanks not real sure I wanna take that off figure check for dipstick if no take weep plug out and see if I can see or feel oil

Use something small & flexible like a nylon wire tie to check where the fluid level is if it doesn't weep out the top vent when you pull the screw & fill thu the bottom as stated if needed Not thu the top.

Use something small & flexible like a nylon wire tie to check where the fluid level is if it doesn't weep out the top vent when you pull the screw & fill thu the bottom as stated if needed. 

Ok thank you I do have the pump and oil. Will check tomorrow....as long as I can reach it with short wire tie I should be good right or if it doesn't come out add till it does.

Just trying to figure out how to check it without full drain I had it professionally winterized in October so I'm pretty sure it's good but don't like to leave things to chance especially with all the work I've put in last few weeks

For the 10$ worth of oil I would just drain it and refill. Lower units are EXPENSIVE oil is cheap, it's a no brainer. It's much easier to fix a problem if found early, especially when you're in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't see oil coming out the top hole when you remove the screw or need to add oil showing low on dipstick. The only safe way is to attach pump to lower hole and remove upper plug. Pump oil until it begins to flow out top plug hole. Replace top screw first and then quickly install lower screw All done. Any other way you risk too much or too little oil

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For the 10$ worth of oil I would just drain it and refill. Lower units are EXPENSIVE oil is cheap, it's a no brainer. It's much easier to fix a problem if found early, especially when you're in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea i get that too. Boat has been in water once (bc it broke) sat in garage all winter so really wanted to just do full fluid check before season really got full swing and I got back on water. All other fluids are full and look good this was last on my check list lol. If I have to pump more in I will drain and replace. If comes out weep clean will leave alone

4 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

How can I add a little if needed?only thru bottom with pump or can I use small funnel in weep or pump into weep?

L&M is absolutely correct, there is no reason in the world to open that can of worms!! The only way to do it properly is from the bottom up. You can buy that pump at Walmart or marine parts store, hell I bought mine at NaPa, they carry a lot of marine products, screw the pump on the bottle thread the the hose in to the bottom hole and pump till she's flowing out, put the top plug first than the lower plug and your good to go!!

Yea i have the pump I was more looking for a way to check it than actual drain and change. Seems like pop weep plug see if flows if not drain and change. Really appreciate all the help guys if any other tips/pointers please lmk I'll take all the help I can get.

42 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

Early Alpha 1 gen 2 had the dipstick in the center of the top cover. Check in down and level position be VERY careful taking the top cover off he upper gear housing. There are shims under the cover that set backlash on upper gears. Losing any spells catastrophe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just to be clear OP said it was a Alpha 1 and never mentioned Gen 2. That why I wrote to the best of my knowledge ,no dipstick etc. As well as removing cover plate without mentioning shims,which I wouldn't of suggested  if I knew he had gen 2. Good catch on the correct model !

Just to be clear OP said it was a Alpha 1 and never mentioned Gen 2. That why I wrote to the best of my knowledge ,no dipstick etc. As well as removing cover plate without mentioning shims,which I wouldn't of suggested  if I knew he had gen 2. Good catch on the correct model !

How do I know the difference? I am unaware of what model I have it is a 87 four wins tho