Fix or Buy

jigstick

Fix or Buy

I have a 1997 Bayliner 2252 Sierra Express Cruiser.  It has a cuddy with nice interior, head, sink, microwave, etc.  Roof.  Helm and deck are all in pretty good shape.  I had the boat surveyed 2 years ago and was told the boat is in "pretty good shape".  That the stringers and transom where "85%" intact.  Im assuming thats good?  The engine is only 5yrs old with 300hrs on it...Merc V6.  The boat is working awesome for my family and fishing style.  But I'm torn about what to do .

Im always looking at boats, but I'm not really seeing anything like mine that is comparable but more new.  Im debating on weather or not to do an overhaul on this boat, and keep it for the long run.  Like putting in a new solid composite transom, stringers, hydraulic steering, kicker, and having all the moldings and windows resealed with gaskets etc.  

for one, where would I take the boat to have work like this done?  and what type of cost would be involved with this plan?  $5000?  $10,000?  It may not be worth doing it if it costs that much.

If it is your "perfect boat" although we all know that doesn't exist it's worth it. If you're going to keep it for the next 5-10 years because it fits you than its worth it. If you have it done and invest 10k in it and next year you want bigger or different than its not worth it because it will still be a 20+ yr old boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

see thats the thing.  If I could have the exact boat but 2ft longer and 2ft wider....like the 2452 model of mine, it would be PERFECT. 

But my current boat works for us, and its easy to tow back and forth from Erie and Ontario.  its not "too big" is what I'm getting at.  So I'm really thinking it could be worth updating this one the best i can.  Ive never looked in to having such extensive work done, and I'm assuming the local marinas aren't going to be capable of this type of overhaul.  Are there "ship yards" near Dunkirk, Erie, Buffalo...that do quality work like Im looking for?

Edited by jigstick

To re do the stringers and transom your looking at pulling the motor and the complete outdrive assembly. The deck may have to be cut out depending on how far the stringers go under it .If that is the case your looking at a very pricey job  for that alone. I would guess 3-5grand. Your boat from what I saw listed on some sites is worth around 5-7 grand. Not sure where your surveyor came up with 85% good stringers and transom.Where was the water intrusion that got the 15% ? Seems like a random number to me. In any case if it was me I would either run it in the ground the way it is and tighten up the mouldings/ windows and live with the steering. The kicker wouldn't worry me as I would either sell it when I got rid of the boat or put it on the new one....2nd option, move it as soon as I could while looking for another boat  that might have a 8'6" beam for a bit more elbow room . I would also look for one that was designed more for fishing with a higher quality builder reputation. Say you put 8 grand into with stringers and kicker etc vs selling it for 7 g and taking that 8 you ended up putting into it towards a 15 G set up that is 100% ready to go with no issues and a much higher resale than the 5 gs your going to get out of your rebuild when your done with it in a few years.  All in all its your call,just keep researching

All plastic deteriorates with time. In a couple hundred years it will be dust so twenty year old fiberglass will be deteriorating pretty soon, so if you expect to operate an old boat for twenty years or more, you are looking at a lot of problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United