Trolling SLR

border_angler

Trolling SLR

Help needed!  I see that some of you guys are very successful, especially on bigger fish, trolling the SLR. I have been able to catch fish pretty consistently during daylight hours either bottom bouncing or jigging but I haven't had too much success trolling.  The current is kicking my butt! I fish the same areas that others are trolling but I can't seem to put it together. Trying to get onto some bigger fish and trolling at night seems to be the best way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Border Angler,

Kevin and I have talked about this a lot. We think the fish are scattered on lots of locations, more than people think. The reason some guys get them is that they have learned a specific spot and what it takes to present a lure or bait there so it's working properly.

It's no secret these fish love the bottom. Also no secret that the current in one spot is different than in another. So what gets you down and working in one situation has to vary from what worked in another. I leave my clicker on when friends come with me so they can hear what I'm doing This is where I pay more line out, this is where I pull up, etc. This is where I reel up and start over because the current has caused too much line to get out.

This big river fishing is really just like small stream fishing where every pool and run requires a slightly different approach. Find a likely area, learn it, keep close track of the current and structure, fish it at different times of the day and night, log what works and doesn't, and your success rate will reflect.

Finally, don't depend on your depthfinder to find fish. Use it to study the bottom. Find a shelf where the current  will be broken and provide a resting area.....find a big flat adjacent to the current...find something that works and then go find 15 more just like it.

Well said Prof T. Bottom line is it takes a great deal of time and experimentation to figure out techniques that work on various locations. Probably not going to be highly successful if you just run out for a night or a weekend. I've put in years of experimenting to become consistent on the SLR and it still isn't easy. Need to be observant and try different approaches to find out what works. Boat control in the current is very key.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Well said Prof T. Bottom line is it takes a great deal of time and experimentation to figure out techniques that work on various locations. Probably not going to be highly successful if you just run out for a night or a weekend. I've put in years of experimenting to become consistent on the SLR and it still isn't easy. Need to be observant and try different approaches to find out what works. Boat control in the current is very key.

What size/type boat are you using?

It definitely takes time. With the guidance that Kevin has shared here over the years it shortened my learning curve immensely.

There is a lot of info on this site.

Look through some old posts. It's all there... [emoji6]