I put this in the musky forum given the assumption the musky guys do more border zigzagging than most. At a boat show in Clayton this spring there were some Canadian customs guys wandering around and I had a chat with em. They said...if fishing in Canadian waters you can call in for clearance if you have a nexus card. If not you're supposed to check in physically. That goes for all on the boat. He went into how you'll be warned the first time and if there's a second time it could get ugly. This sounds like big PITA. I don't venture over there often. For me it would be out off the mouth of the SLR by charity or pigeon shoal. Sure I can get a nexus card but odds are good that at times I'll have someone with me w/o one. Id be reluctant to go all the way to wolf island or kingston to check in. Did I interpret all this correctly?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We use Nexus cards when duck hunting. General it is fairly easy to call in particularly when you've done it a few times as they seem to have your information on hand. Duck hunting we do anchor or make land so rules are different. We have had some instances when the person taking our call didn't seem to know how the system was suppose to work so we hung up, called again and talked to a different agent with no difficulty. I know they are trying to make this easier for boaters and fisherman but I don't believe anything has changed yet.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Reading up on this is getting confusing, from what I read, passports are for face to face use, nexus is for remote use. Nexus requires an interview also before being issued a card. I already have passports, it's getting more confusing the more I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

Today Canada passed a law that you'll no longer have to call customs unless you're going ashore or anchoring. Will be signed into law within a week. Remember,no alcohol on board there.

A step in the right direction.... I keep my boat in Clayton and fish Canadian waters 80% of the time so this will be nice.  Please let us know when this is officially signed into law.  I'll be on the river this weekend most likely.

Today Canada passed a law that you'll no longer have to call customs unless you're going ashore or anchoring. Will be signed into law within a week. Remember,no alcohol on board there.

wait you can't have alcohol on a boat on the Canadian side?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, boho607 said:

Strictly Molson Canadian.... no Budweiser products:lol:

haha, that's okay by me what about PBR? I was a little worried as in the past we sometimes fished Canadian waters and always had beer on board when we went over the border.

11 hours ago, Chas0218 said:

wait you can't have alcohol on a boat on the Canadian side?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i didn't think we can have alcohol on a boat in ny or an open container these days . i know over 0.08 is dwi car / boat . so if you stay under 0.08 is ok to drink alcohol.. i just don't bother with it any more one less thing to worry  about , i wait till back at  camp/ home where don't have to drive ..

57 minutes ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Don't believe you can have open container.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

From what I have found there isn't a law against open container on a boat operator or not. Not that I condone it but just saying.

56 minutes ago, fisherdude said:

i didn't think we can have alcohol on a boat in ny or an open container these days . i know over 0.08 is dwi car / boat . so if you stay under 0.08 is ok to drink alcohol.. i just don't bother with it any more one less thing to worry  about , i wait till back at  camp/ home where don't have to drive ..

You are correct you must be under .08 as the operator of the boat.

Sorry to de-rail the thread gentlemen back to the regular scheduled program...

Edited by Chas0218

Here is a quote from someone on another forum that was just posted. He was just out on the Niagara R the night of 6/21 - 6/22.

Before hanging up with the can pass people I asked the woman if I had to report in anymore. I was told that until the new rule is actually put onto the books calling in is still expected.  She said it will probably be around two weeks before we can discontinue.

Edited by muskiedreams
added date

Then in 2 weeks ull see my a$$ over there washing baits. A dwi 9 years ago (yes I f#cked up) has kept me on this side for too long and after 9 years I feel like I've served my sentence for having 2 deuces out ice fishing Honeoye Lake.

Thx for keeping the info current gentelmen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 6/23/2017 at 2:34 PM, muskiedreams said:

Here is a quote from someone on another forum that was just posted. He was just out on the Niagara R the night of 6/21 - 6/22.

Before hanging up with the can pass people I asked the woman if I had to report in anymore. I was told that until the new rule is actually put onto the books calling in is still expected.  She said it will probably be around two weeks before we can discontinue.

On the same post, I read someone else chime in and said it is already law and the officials on the water already know it is now law. I wonder if everyone is on the same page.

• 1 month later...

My buddy told me of a new border wrinkle. There's a new patrol boat..black... with both US and Canadian officers on it..armed and ready for hell. They were out doing boat checks by Carleton island last night. I guess it's new along with the new border law re boats.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app