Best trolling motor battery

Hey guys.  I love trolling and I love the new boat I bought.  But I just don't get enough hours out of my 12v deep cycle battery. I really like trolling at night for walleyes, and I like to do that with my trolling motor to really keep the noise down even know plenty of guys use there kicker the whole night and do fine.  I have the minn Kota power drive v2 55lb 12v trolling motor. I wanna find a Battery that goes 8 hrs on a full charge. Right now I'm only getting like 4 to 5. A couple people just told me AGM is the way to go?  I was hoping you guys had some input on what the best make and model of a trolling motor battery is from your past experience?  Should I have 2 12v batteries wired in parallel? What battery helped you guys the most getting continuos hours out of a battery ?

What you need is more amp hours.  There are two options.  First is to wire two batteries in parallel and the second is to buy a real high amp hour battery.  Trojan makes some that are 200 amp hour, which where you would be with 2 everstart size 29s.  The optimas and agm batteries are designed for many more recharges and less drop off in performance, but they don't have the amp hours of a wet cell like an everstart or interstate 29.  A DC on board charger is also a good idea if you run your regular motor much throughout your time on the water as it will charge your batteries every time you are running the regular motor.   I have a 36 volt system with ac and dc on board chargers and 2 batteries in parallel for my main battery. I can troll all night with lights on, 2 graphs, live well, etc all without the 4 stroke.

15 hours ago, Yankmycrank said:

Hey guys.  I love trolling and I love the new boat I bought.  But I just don't get enough hours out of my 12v deep cycle battery. I really like trolling at night for walleyes, and I like to do that with my trolling motor to really keep the noise down even know plenty of guys use there kicker the whole night and do fine.  I have the minn Kota power drive v2 55lb 12v trolling motor. I wanna find a Battery that goes 8 hrs on a full charge. Right now I'm only getting like 4 to 5. A couple people just told me AGM is the way to go?  I was hoping you guys had some input on what the best make and model of a trolling motor battery is from your past experience?  Should I have 2 12v batteries wired in parallel? What battery helped you guys the most getting continuos hours out of a battery ?

2 batteries will make a huge difference than 1 it's doubling your amp/hrs. Make sure you don't drain your battery past half way otherwise you will lessen the service life of that battery. I highly recommend a big deep cycle battery something in the 29 size range. I have had walmart ever start batteries on my boat for around 4 years and they are still running strong. I make sure to charge them during the winter and maintain water levels in them. I know they aren't the best out there but they seem to work for a good price. My father in law has spent $200+ per a battery and they only last 1 or 2 seasons. I'm not sure if it's him or the batteries.

Edited by Chas0218

I have a 24 volt setup with Interstate battery's for my 70lb min Kota. I can get 3 to 4 trips before I need to charge them again. Battery's are 4 years old and still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have 4 of Walmarts biggest marine for both trolling and starting  for both my boats . Have NEVER let me down . Get a good digital charger and keep them charged as soon as you are done fishing.  I would rather spend half the price and replace them more often. Have one that is 8 years old. I'm anal about keeping them charged. I keep them in the basement during the winter. 

• 2 weeks later...