Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Olcot

I took my son today out to Olcot so we could partake in the horn of plenty of kings swimming in that area. I guess they were not swimming where we went. We had a blank screen most of the day apart from the lakers sticking to the bottom. Besides,we needed to pay a lot of attention to all the debris floating in some areas. So what do you do in Olcot when you can't catch a fish? You take out the binoculars and scout for a special boat. Vince's boat. Its hard to miss.When we located his rig quite a ways out, we made our way to that general area and we ended up with 3 nice steelies. Thank you Vince!! you saved our day.

 

Edited by rolmops
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

Yes...... everyone follow Vince. He loves company. 

Do I sense a bit of cynicism? I took care to stay about a half a mile away from his rig.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous. I too was Olcott today too. Boats everywhere. It was hard to avoid the other boats really. I did my best but I can easily see how someone could get closer than they would prefer. Especially when you are alone, like was trying to set lines and steer by myself. On a calm day like today it's not too bad. With a chop, forget it. I never saw a fish , or a fish caught from 6 to 12 noon. I went from 90 feet to 300 feet of water.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Link to post
Share on other sites

Between Wilson and Olcott, a shout out to Greg and his wife at ASB Tackle in Newfane just south of Olcott for hooking us up with the latest and greatest tackle! Best tackle shop around!!!!

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice guy gave me a report that it was good between 350 and 400 in front of Wilson on Friday so yesterday so set up in 350 and headed north. not long and doubled small king and a bow off 200 and 10 color. Marked spot on the gps turned around and banged another. we went back and forth in a line northwest to South East for hours banging fish the entire time. boxed by 845. most our fish came on spoons, we had ff on one rigger. it did take one king but I think was more of an attraction to the spread. We got a lot off the cheater on that rigger. We had 6 on ff. We just had it right yesterday. ended 18 for 26 mostly 8 pound average kings. We didn't really pay attention to what we were marking and just kept hitting our waypoints but looked ok from surface down to around 80. ran riggers 65, 85, 75. Divers a little slower but ran those similar depths. 

Don't know the name of who gave me that report but thanks made for an awesome day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Decoy Hound said:

Thank you, No problem, you out here today again? The kings are bigger today!

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

no should be! lol. headed back to rochester. back there Wednesday and Thursday of the weather cooperates and my fishing partners can take off. if you know anyone available give me a heads up. wanna come Tuesday evening and fish Wednesday and Thursday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday the 27th I got skunked. Today, the 28th I got two 15 lb Kings. I was off Wilson in 250 FOW. Got the one, and after dealing with it, turned around and trolled back through and picked up the other one. Both on the SWR rod, 70 feet down on a FF. The nothing else, until I quit around 1030 because it was getting choppy. That is a good day for me, I am no expert. Just learning and trying my best. I was running the SWR rod, as described, and I had a brads super bait with paddle on the other rigger down from 40-100 at various times. Also had a chinook diver out anywhere from 150-250, but nothing on it. Its tough when you are alone, and trying to manage everything. My fish hawk (new to me) not sure if it is accurate, I could swear it is off, because the wire angles were 60 degrees it seems like I was cooking along , and it said I was going 2.5 to 2.7. Surface readings were 3 mph and over.....Learning curve....... 

Edited by garrymny
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, garrymny said:

Saturday the 27th I got skunked. Today, the 28th I got two 15 lb Kings. I was off Wilson in 250 FOW. Got the one, nd after dealing with it, turned around and trolled back through and picked up the other one. Both on the SWR rod, 70 feet down on a FF. The nothing else, until I quit around 1030 because it was getting choppy. That is a good day for me, I am no expert. Just learning and trying my best. I was running the SWR rod, as described, and I had a brads super bait with paddle on the other rigger down from 40-100 at various times. Also had a chinook diver out anywhere from 150-150, but nothing. Its tough when you are alone, and trying to manage everything.

I am headed up Wednesday and Thursday and need a partner if you are available. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chinook Chaser said:

I am headed up Wednesday and Thursday and need a partner if you are available. 

Thanks for the offer Chinook Chaser, but I will be working.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decoy Hound what was your program? We fished just inside of you 250-330 fow and saw many charters around us. We did ok Friday with just 5 kings. Biggest was about 12# and the others were 5-6#. That took us all day. Yesterday we did not move a rod until the afternoon and that was just for 3 shakers. Today we only fished a half a day and did not move a rod all a day. The ride back to Cleveland we ask ourselves what we did wrong. Changed down speeds at the ball from 1.9 to 3.0. Changed slide diver and diver depths from 30' to 70'. Ran riggers from 40' to 100'. Ran spoons and FF off everything. Ran 300 and 400 copper off boards. Ran 6" orange/crush SD off blue/gold peanut fly and 3/4oz keel sinker off in line board took 2 fish. Sutton 44 spoon took 1 fish off 50 rigger. My buddy loves his Sutton spoons. Another fish came off a 40 rigger with blue/white SD and fly. The last keeper fish came off a UV green frog spoon. The only thing I can think of is we didn't have a Firecracker spoon, Stud fly or Caddy Shack spoon like we heard all over the radio. Thanks for the great report. We were starting to think the lake was fished out. lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our program was similar to Chinook Chaser 350 to 400 feet of water north of Wilson but we fished our lures a lot deeper, we use 600 cooper with a 12" UV green paddle and diabolical meat rig in the diabolical color using N&D cut bait from the Boat Doctor in Olcott. Our riggers were down 200 and 250 feet using spin doctors and flies in green glow which we charge all night. On our wire divers we use Moonshine spoons, bad toad, crab face, green jeans also charged all night. We caught the majority of our fish before 7:00 with doubles twice. Once it's starts getting fairly bright out we start switching to UV spin doctors/ UV flies and UV spoons. Not sure if all this glow and UV is that important or if it's that we are that confident in the program we run but it works for us and that's all that really matters. Our down speed was 2.6 and down temp was 46. I'd also like to give some credit to Greg and his wife at ASB Tackle in Newfane just south of Olcott for hooking us up with the latest and greatest tackle. Best tackle shop I've ever been in, they custom painted a few spin doctors and divers for us as well. Also we have learned a lot from Matt Yablonsky of Get The Net Wet Charters, he's an absolute wealth of knowledge and a great teacher and has helped us tremendously. It's hard to come from out of state and not have a starting point, but over the years have built a relationship with a few key people. So when we get here we have a good starting point and put a program together. I've been fishing this end of Ontario for over twenty years. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box, back in the beginning we fished up here with our walleye tackle and caught fish( lost a lot of tackle in the process) We would be happy to take you out with us, we come up often throughout the year.  There is nothing like hands on experience to see our program rather than read about it. It's the greatest fishery in my eyes! You just can't thank all the people enough that do so much to keep this fishery so great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Decoy Hound said:

Our program was similar to Chinook Chaser 350 to 400 feet of water north of Wilson but we fished our lures a lot deeper, we use 600 cooper with a 12" UV green paddle and diabolical meat rig in the diabolical color using N&D cut bait from the Boat Doctor in Olcott. Our riggers were down 200 and 250 feet using spin doctors and flies in green glow which we charge all night. On our wire divers we use Moonshine spoons, bad toad, crab face, green jeans also charged all night. We caught the majority of our fish before 7:00 with doubles twice. Once it's starts getting fairly bright out we start switching to UV spin doctors/ UV flies and UV spoons. Not sure if all this glow and UV is that important or if it's that we are that confident in the program we run but it works for us and that's all that really matters. Our down speed was 2.6 and down temp was 46. I'd also like to give some credit to Greg and his wife at ASB Tackle in Newfane just south of Olcott for hooking us up with the latest and greatest tackle. Best tackle shop I've ever been in, they custom painted a few spin doctors and divers for us as well. Also we have learned a lot from Matt Yablonsky of Get The Net Wet Charters, he's an absolute wealth of knowledge and a great teacher and has helped us tremendously. It's hard to come from out of state and not have a starting point, but over the years have built a relationship with a few key people. So when we get here we have a good starting point and put a program together. I've been fishing this end of Ontario for over twenty years. Don't be afraid to think outside of the box, back in the beginning we fished up here with our walleye tackle and caught fish( lost a lot of tackle in the process) We would be happy to take you out with us, we come up often throughout the year.  There is nothing like hands on experience to see our program rather than read about it. It's the greatest fishery in my eyes! You just can't thank all the people enough that do so much to keep this fishery so great.

sounds like a great program I would think that glow is important for running that deep. I have tried putting riggers down 200 to 250 but never have had a release. my guess is tackle selection and after about 20 min I think that's way to deep and bring them up. lol. do you use a special light to charge them all night? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Day three I spent the morning doing my other hobby. We went to the flea market in Wilson and I was looking for any antique duck or fish decoys...no luck☹️. Then we grabbed a bite to eat and drove by the lake and it looked fairly flat so we grabbed the boat and headed out. Launched about 3:30 and headed to the same area as the previous two days. The water temp we had was gone, so we did a little searching and found it again out in 450 feet. Setup with our deep program and had a fish fairly soon. It was only my brother and I and it was getting pretty windy and the waves started building. We had a steady pick of nice kings with the biggest 20 pounds but our sixth fish kept going back for an upgrade but it never happened. We got off the water by 7:00. Awesome weekend and can't wait to we get back!

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

   Not sure where to ask this but,   is 5-15 knots winds with higher  gusts  out of the west with 1-3 fters.   to rough to fish out of Olcott  tomorrow ?  I know north & east winds are bad.

Edited by lineman49
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov//res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=sfcur&type=F&hr=03  

 

 

One chart I look at is the surface currents directions  (recorded 30' down by buoys).  When arrows point towards shore.......fish closer.  When arrows point out.......fish offshore.  These will not give you the spot within the spot but will give you macro-direction that help me decide how much gas to burn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...