Most important topic

Most important topic

Finding fish is the most important part of catching I don't think anyone could argue against that. But consistently finding them is a struggle. I believe if you have fished lake o long enough and have learned in general what the kings like (let's focus on them) then if you find them and they are hungry you will catch some if all other factors are correct we know there's a lot, down speed temp etc. Now obviously we need to be fishing an area that is in general holding kings area of concentration of course may be many miles in diameter let's say, but we know certain areas hold fish different times of the year we are most likely not gonna head out of pultneyville and put a dozen in the boat this time of year. Let's use my last trip out as an example. We fished on 5/27 in front of Wilson and found hungry fish caught a bunch and had a blast. Now I wish I could say the success was from many years of fishing, in part yes I had a good idea what to throw at them but the finding them part......really just luck and a couple good reports. Now obviously things can change over night and those fish could be in Canada. I am headed back to fish Wednesday Thursday. Weather is calling for many days in a row of sw wind from 5 to 20 knots. What will this due to those fish and fishing and general? Any salty dogs out there feel free to give some knowledge. Will those fish move with that "good water" and be miles west out deeper? If the bait has moved then would make sense that they would. In general what I am wondering is are there any general rules of thumb or guidelines one can follow to get back on the fish. I know many times I have gone back the same spot and almost nothing.  What would happen if it were many days of east wind. Are the wind and currents a great place to start when trying to determine where fish may be or may have gone to? Anyone commenting please feel free to comment.

Well i am no expert on kings or the wind and current i have done alot of fishing in my life and the one biggest factor i use to get on fish is the birds and it is the most reliable tactic i have found weather i am on the ocean or the big lake .I wont follow the fleet of boats but will allways stay with turns ,gulls,loans and commerants weather they are sitting in a area or working that area .The first thing i do when heading out to the fishing grounds is make a plan and well under way i start looking and never stop all day when i see birds thats were i head and set up there will be bait and fish .  I use a good pair of binos to help locate them you only need a few .GOOD LUCK

Interesting about the Birds. I couldn't agree more. Finding them is the most important and most difficult. Case in Point: I was also fishing 5/27. Launched out of Olcott (only place available). I went west towards Wilson. I stopped about 2 miles east of Wilson, and fished from 80 feet to 300 FOW. Never saw a fish on my screen, Never saw a bait ball, never had a bite.  On the next day, I went straight out from wilson and caught two 15 pound kings in 250 FOW. That made my day, even though I could not manage to catch another I was elated. I quit at 1030 because the lakes was getting choppy. One point, even on days when I have caught salmon and steelies, I rarely see any on the fish finder. Once in a while I may, but I can go hours with none. On another note: last fall at the Niagara Bar my screen was loaded with hooks (fish) and I could not catch a fish. So, even when I do find them I sometimes have problems!

Keep a fishing journal and document every fishing trip. Over time, you will notice patterns year after year. You will also figure out where fish go after certain winds / weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Consistent SW wind generally doesn't change conditions much. I always use temperature as a reference especially in the spring down at Niagara. If you had good luck fishing 51 surface temp and the next time you go out and can only find 46 you probably are not in the right spot. Your basically trying to find where the warmer Niagara water went or Genny, Oswego, ect if your fishing east. With a SW wind at Niagara you should not have to run to the bar to find fish. I know its a wide area but if you are searching I would start from Wilson heading NW from 100 FOW to 300 FOW. If the fish aren't in that area than something changed drastically and it may be a tough day. East wind will push fish all the way back to the bar or way offshore. In periods when we've had a lot of west wind fishing could be good all the way down past Olcott.  Good luck and let us know if things changed.