Cayuga north end 5/29

Cayuga north end 5/29

We got out in the early afternoon for a few hours and trolled out in front of the college.  Best luck was over 125 fow down 75 and 90 at 2.3 mph.  One fish hit a dipsy out 200, but all of the action was on the DR's.  All hits were spoons.  Purple, black and green dreamweavers.  A few fish had some size.  Switched up this year to some lighter rods and that has made for quite a bit more fun on the reel.  Everything that stuck got into the boat, even with my kids on the rod or the net, which is asking a lot.  Finding that keeping the fish in the water in the net, aside of a quick picture or two, has made for a noticeably stronger release.  No weeds or fleas, a few sticks still floating around.  A few boats trolling this stretch but pretty limited traffic, though it was later in the day.  One fish brought a pretty good sized lamprey along for the ride and every fish seemed like they had fresh wounds, unfortunately.  Didn't seem to mark a lot of bait.  Marked fish on bottom but all of our hits were suspended fish.  Ran a cheater at times from 20 to 35 but we couldn't seem to locate any salmon, browns, or bows with any of the high rods.  I would like to figure that out if anyone has any advice.

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2456.jpg

Edited by slouiscar

vogel451 is right and that is probably where most of the bait is right now too although wind conditions can change it at any time.

Lamprey's go back in 1 inch bite sized pieces.

Getting the kids out for an early AM trip is a bit of a challenge.  But I will give tight to shore a try on the next morning trip.  Over the course of the season we will pick up a handful of small salmon and maybe a rainbow or two up high up on a cheater while targeting LT.  But I would like to put a rod or two out into the spread that are dedicated to fishing for them.  Maybe a leadcore or a copper?

2 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

What's a cheater rod?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

A cheater rig is a leader with a spoon fixed on the main line some distance above your swivel and spoon, or FF, or cowbell, or whatever. 

Frankly, I should have said stacker not cheater.  With other people on the boat I stack another rod at a fixed depth on the downrigger.  If it is just me solo, I will use a cheater, or a slider, since it only uses one rod.

Edited by slouiscar

A cheater rig is a leader with a spoon fixed on the main line some distance above your swivel and spoon, or FF, or cowbell, or whatever. 

Frankly, I should have said stacker not cheater.  With other people on the boat I stack another rod at a fixed depth on the downrigger.  If it is just me solo, I will use a cheater, or a slider, since it only uses one rod.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Flat lines were good on Sunday.  F7 in firetiger.  Also I had my riggers 50 back down 17 to 20.  Divers out 50 and 60 with spoons.  I fished 30 to 60 fow but took fish out to 150.  I didn't fish deep at all.  Had a very good trip with a 30 inch bow as the best fish of the day. Salmon, Lakers and bows allup top.

As always, I greatly appreciate the input and advice.  I will work it into the plan and see if we can't add some silver fish.  I am hoping to get out Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning this weekend.  We will see what the breeze looks like. 

Suttontroller94 hit the nail right on the head i been running east to west with seth green rods  at 2.6 or higher and been getting lakers and LL . lakers be on the bottom leaders LL be on the top leaders . then i use my dipsy rods with spiny and Iron Duke wild child uv fly or cowbell and spin and glow  i like lead core off my boards too . 

We a had a good day on Sunday the 28th. The big laker was 10lbs. Lost a real good salmon along with my favorite evil eye at the back of the boat on a seth green rig. Bottom leader, about 100' down. All others came on the wire divers and braid divers with ff. We were fishing 130' to 350' picking them up everywhere. 20170528_180733.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app