Stiff steering fixable?

geezer

Stiff steering fixable?

stiff steering fixable? I have an older 18' starcraft. After de-winterizing during my shake down cruise the steering gave strong resistance when turned all the way right or left. Cable seems to move good at rear, lubed up everything at boats back end, seems like trouble is behind the steering wheel. Gentle steering at mid range ok, only hard at extreme left and right ends, kinda like it doesnt want to return back towards center.ides?

You need a new steering cable unless something is screwed up at the steering wheel(steering wheel issue is a rare thing)   Common issue.

I should say it is a common fail after sitting over the winter, being old and probably original and not being used

Edited by MCF

nActually a pretty reasonable repair.  Just did mine for $115. Teleflex through Wholesale marine.

2 tips: after freeing the cable from all cable ties that secure it and other things to it, remove it from the helm. As you ease it forward you should be able to free it from the tilt tube of the motor. It helps to have a partner push it out with a dowel or other push rod.. Mine had enough clearance to ease it all the way out without removing motor mounting bolts.

Before you pull it through the chase to get it around the rear corner of the boat, attach a decent rope or guide wire to assist in pulling the new one back toward the motor.

Once you have the old one on the ground, the measurement is along the black sheathing, from the crimp on the rack end to the crimp on the steering arm end, PLUS 30".  Then round up to the next foot.

New one went back in in about 45 minutes. Feels like a new boat!

Edited by Prof T