150 mercury efi two stroke issue

150 mercury efi two stroke issue

2008 150 efi starts right up but idles a little rough...nothing major. Just barely advance the throttle and it idles worse and sometimes will stall. Sounds like it's loading up but starts right back up and ran at mid to high rpm fine. Last trip it bogged down and wouldn't plane the boat, after playing with the throttle a little it took off and ran fine until it was turned off and restarted then same bogging but never corrected itself. Boat sat at a marina for 2 weeks and i was told they couldnt get it to act up so just take it and see what happens. They claim compression was fine, I have no idea if it was tested, and that it probably is a sensor. Any thoughts? Or good mechanics in corning area?

Possible computer issue. Intermittently failing or weak power supply? Although an outboard, there's gotta be some elimination tests.

Making your stories, Reel Stories, since 2011!!

8 minutes ago, MeanMachine said:

Did you replace fuel lines?  I had a similar issue before where the motor would bog down due to old fuel lines cutting the flow of fuel.

Fuel lines were replaced with ethanol safe lines and VST filter was changed two years ago. 

11 minutes ago, lakebound88 said:

Possible computer issue. Intermittently failing or weak power supply? Although an outboard, there's gotta be some elimination tests.

It has the smartcraft technology which I would assume is computer scanable to check for codes?

I'd have a competent marine tech put it on the diagnostic tool and see what codes come up. The computer in it records everyhting from how the engine was broken in to how many times the alarms have gone off to thermostat temp readings etc. so you should be able to get a better idea where to start.

Edited by Sk8man

5 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I'd have a competent marine tech put it on the diagnostic tool and see what codes come up. The computer in it records everyhting from how the engine was broken in to how many times the alarms have gone off to thermostat temp readings etc. so you should be able to get a better idea where to start.

Any idea who in the corning area would be considered competent? I'm familiar with most of the marinas but not sure where to start. The last two I have been to definitely would not be described as competent!

There was a very simular topic awhile back, turned out to be the reeds in the carb. Not sure if yours has them, or which fuel, meaning 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I remember my buddy's putting other types in for performance and those were 2 stroke motors. Aaa ya, dumb azz me didn't read headline EFI DA!! Ain't no Carb. In a EFI motor :headbang:

Edited by pap

37 minutes ago, pap said:

There was a very simular topic awhile back, turned out to be the reeds in the carb. Not sure if yours has them, or which fuel, meaning 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I remember my buddy's putting other types in for performance and those were 2 stroke motors.

x2 on the carbs my buddy had to clean his carbs every year because of the ethanol in the fuel now he uses stabilizer every time he gets fuel no problems

5 minutes ago, shinintimes said:

x2 on the carbs my buddy had to clean his carbs every year because of the ethanol in the fuel now he uses stabilizer every time he gets fuel no problems

It's an efi motor and always treat the fuel and run mercury quickkleen multiple times a season.

I'm familiar with good techs at the north end of the lake but not the south end maybe some of the Watkins Glen area folks could help out with that info.

I have that same motor. I bought it new in 2008. About 3 years later it started acting like that. Two coils were bad. Mercury gave me six new ones under "good will". I guess they knew they had some bad ones out there. Never had a problem since.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

8 hours ago, old man said:

I have that same motor. I bought it new in 2008. About 3 years later it started acting like that. Two coils were bad. Mercury gave me six new ones under "good will". I guess they knew they had some bad ones out there. Never had a 

Thank you. My engine is the same year. Was yours an intermittent problem when it happened? I thought it may be a bad coil when it happened but everyone told me they usually just go bad and won't come and go. 

When the gas lines were replaced.  Was the priming bulb replaced? Had a problem with my 115 hp.  The bulb would not prime. Cut the old bulb open, full of varnish plugging the check valve.  Changed lines and bulb worked fine after that.

• 3 weeks later...