Aluminum Haul Hard Top boats

jigstick

Aluminum Haul Hard Top boats

How popular are the aluminum hard top boats on Lake Ontario?  Like a Kingfisher 2525 Offshore

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/ModelDetails.aspx?prod=66

Seems like they would handle the great lakes very well.  But Ive never seen one in person actually out on the water.  Im looking for a new pilot house boat, and the idea of not dealing with fiberglass or wood transoms /  stringers is very appealing.

I have a Willie, similar to the Falcon that this company makes and love it. I think I'm the only one on the lake that has one.  I know when I ordered it they told me it was the 1st powered rig they had built for someone in the east.  I've seen some Hewscrafts on the lake. I believe the Oswego Fire Dpt has a hardtop. I wish I had ordered a hard top when I had it built, as the canvas is always up when I'm fishing, and a cabin would be a harder thing to break into if I kept it in the water. If the price is right on these boats I don't think you'd be making a bad decision, I like the way they look, but I didn't get into the specs. If you do happen to order one I'd take a look at the other manufacturers to see their ideas, and maybe have them design it into the boat. I know I'd like to have some features on mine that weren't available like locker storage when I had it built. Also, if you're spending that kind of money on one it's a good idea to always go bigger than you think you'd need. The difference in price would be negligible, and the resale price you'd get would be a lot better. I was just on the Willie website and found that out myself, as  what they are getting for similar used rigs is more than what I paid for mine  when I had it built. By the way there is a hard top Hewescraft on this site that's for sale. Here's the link.

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/65357-2012-hewescraft-prov-200-hard-top-aluminum-fishing-boat-20/

Edited by sszoldra

I'm looking at getting myself a SmokerCraft Phantom 222 Offshore. Similar but with canvas instead of the hardtop. I like the idea of a hardtop but they don't offer one right now. I can't justify the price of a Kingfisher new like the one you posted. It costs more than my house. I believe the price tag on the one you posted is right around $150k.

Another perk is the ability to trailer easily vs a fiberglass boat of that size. Being able to tow a boat 70mph down the highway and only weighing in around 4000lbs. loaded is nice compared to twice that of a fiberglass boat.

Edited by Chas0218

Yea I just put one together with being on the conservative side was more than my house "wife words would be keep dreaming" that would be on my top of the list, AFTER I win the power ball :lol:!!!

I'm shocked there aren't more companies making aluminum boats with hard tops.  like a small pilot house.  like a baja cruiser but aluminum and scaled down.  I fished 4 years on a boat without any type of roof whatsoever and it was brutal out there sometimes.  After getting my current hard topped boat, I cant see myself without one.  Especially with my young kids.  Being able to get them out of the sun is very important to me and my wife. 

I'm going to check out that Hewescraft ones now.  After looking at more and more pictures of these types of boats, they seem to have ALOT of useable space on them.  So maybe I can back down on the size a bit...and go 20-22ft. 

2 hours ago, L&M said:

No pun intended on the boat, but I'm afraid with that relatively low hard top you'd wanna be stocking up on Excedrin Dave. :P

And that thing on the top of my hat hurts like heck when you bang it !! Lol been in some taller boats that were hard to troll cross wind and into.

It's a hard top, powder coated aluminum hardtop. The rear side windows and drop curtain are canvas. I do have a canvas top too but never use it. Thanks about the building, it's nice not having to winterize the boats in the winter.

Aluminum Haul Hard Top boats How popular are the aluminum hard top boats on Lake Ontario?  Like a Kingfisher 2525 Offshore

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/ModelDetails.aspx?prod=66

Seems like they would handle the great lakes very well.  But Ive never seen one in person actually out on the water.  Im looking for a new pilot house boat, and the idea of not dealing with fiberglass or wood transoms /  stringers is very appealing.

I own a 26' all weld pilot house (www.wooldridgeboats.com) that I bought in 2011. I charter with it on bay of Quinte and Lake O. It's a beautiful boat and I'm very happy with it. I went through a lot of what I'm sure your going through. My website is www.bayofquintecharters.com. There should be build pictures on there and a video or two. My cell number is listed on the site and I'd be happy to talk to you. Feel free to call and chat. I would also be happy to show you the boat in person and walk you through it. I couldn't find one closer to home and ended up flying out west and walking through a couple factories before buying my boat. I would have been happy to see one closer to home. Again feel free to call I'd be happy to chat.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a 26' all weld pilot house (www.wooldridgeboats.com) that I bought in 2011. I charter with it on bay of Quinte and Lake O. It's a beautiful boat and I'm very happy with it. I went through a lot of what I'm sure your going through. My website is www.bayofquintecharters.com. There should be build pictures on there and a video or two. My cell number is listed on the site and I'd be happy to talk to you. Feel free to call and chat. I would also be happy to show you the boat in person and walk you through it. I couldn't find one closer to home and ended up flying out west and walking through a couple factories before buying my boat. I would have been happy to see one closer to home. Again feel free to call I'd be happy to chat.

Scott

I am in the process of talking to west coat builders and can't decide if I want an offshore bracket or not, how do you like it? Is it a pain to net fish?

I was at the Harrisburg Pa sportsman show this year and one dealer had Thunder Jet boats. They are made out in Washington state. They are known for their jet boats but have a line made for outboard. I checked them out when I got home and they make some great looking hardtops and pilot house rigs. It's a long shot for me as well but that's the direction I'm leaning toward myself. Come on Power Ball numbers!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I am in the process of talking to west coat builders and can't decide if I want an offshore bracket or not, how do you like it? Is it a pain to net fish?

You definitely want the offshore bracket, you get more room in the back of the boat, the boat rides better and you can stand on it to net fish if you need to.

You definitely want the offshore bracket, you get more room in the back of the boat, the boat rides better and you can stand on it to net fish if you need to.

I agree with this 100%. If it's a big fish and it won't behave, I just step out and net from the offshore bracket.

Scott

cant belive that hewscraft in the classifieds hasent sold anyone pricing these boats would see that's a serious boat for short money

I agree but for me I want bigger in the 23' or bigger range. It seems the pro/am fishing tournaments want 21' or longer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk