Complete NuB. Need to set up boat.

Hello all, I've done some searching on here but, can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have an '88 Grady White 204c and want to try some trolling. I bought a couple of downriggers for the back and now I need help choosing spoons, flies, etc. to get started. I'll be staying on Sodus Bay the last week of July into August. (Depending on the flooding, of course) Any hints to get me started without breaking the bank buying the wrong stuff?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good luck lots of salmon and trout guys here and deals to be had on spoons and riggers. Search in the classifieds for what your looking for. This is my first year at it as well and many many guys here are more than willing to help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

at minimum get the following for salmon:

42nd Spin Doctor and 42nd Atomik Fly

Mountain Dew Spin Doctor and an Atomic Green Hammer Fly

White glow with Green dot Spin Doctor with a greenish fly of your choice

42nd Spoon

Daves Salmon Slapper spoon

Carbon 14 spoon

Green Gator spoon

Natural Born Killer spoon

Super Slim spoons where on fire last year.  So get  mix of them and magnums.

you WILL catch fish with these, if you are using them correctly

I'm down in CT so I don't have access to a lot of salmon stuff for when I make the trip up once every year or so.
What I've done that has worked well is to buy my stuff on eBay.

Folks are selling lots of stuff (not "a lot", but a lot as in "a 20 spoon lot")

Mix it up with colors.

Get what the folks above recommend, they know better than me, but I'd also recommend a bunch of 4-5" spoons, stick baits and j-plugs.

Then when you get there you can see what's working and get started with something in your arsenal that is close.  Now you're in the ballpark anyway.

When you launch look at the boats in slips and see what colors they are running, some guys leave their rods rigged ready for the next trip out.

Then after the day is done go to the store and stock up.

I found that on eBay (check the classifieds here first; this is an "and also) you can get a bunch of used stuff for short money.

On 6/1/2017 at 2:26 PM, eljefe417 said:

Hello all, I've done some searching on here but, can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have an '88 Grady White 204c and want to try some trolling. I bought a couple of downriggers for the back and now I need help choosing spoons, flies, etc. to get started. I'll be staying on Sodus Bay the last week of July into August. (Depending on the flooding, of course) Any hints to get me started without breaking the bank buying the wrong stuff?

Thanks in advance...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gander Mountain is going out of business, would have been your best bet for selection (not price).  They still have a decent spoon and flasher selection, flies pretty picked over.  Deals not that great yet but worth a look if you have one nearby.

I agree with jigstick mountain dew spin doctors, atomik flies, add in a glow frog spoon and for silvers maybe an orange crush spoon or other bright colors if you want to bring in a few eaters.  

Not to be a buzzkill but Lake Ontario has fleas.  pick up a spool of 30LB mono for the upcoming flea season - Good Luck Out there!

And get multiples of what you think is going to work.  If you're running 4 rods, the fish want Mountain Dew Spin Doctors and you only have one... Well you're pretty well screwed.  I've got a half dozen of everything that has worked for me (they used to love seeded watermelon spoons).

I've found that being patient when you start out is key. Things can get frustrating quick if you keep fishing with not much success. If you have a friend or acquaintance you could go with to learn the ropes, that would help a lot. If not, keep reading this forum and check videos on YouTube. Almost everything I have, I've bought used, with the exception of some terminal tackle and lures. My cannon electrics cost $35 each at a garage sale. All my rod holders are used too, and I am always finding deals for 50% or less off retail. A lot of good suggestions have been offered here regarding lures and flashers to start with. I second all those. And remember, one cannot have too many fishing lures (or rod holders).

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dreamweaver  Super Slims probably.  Hell you can catch kings on them too.

Michigan Stinger Scorpion spoons are really small.  I've gotten walleye on them, but never tried them for steelhead

What you run means a lot less than where and at what speed you run it. Temp, water color, presence of bait. Don't think you can't catch fish if you don't have the right lure.
Right place, right speed. If it isn't working change it a little.
Most important, keep your lures wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 2017-6-4 at 5:10 PM, jigstick said:

at minimum get the following for salmon:

42nd Spin Doctor and 42nd Atomik Fly

Mountain Dew Spin Doctor and an Atomic Green Hammer Fly

White glow with Green dot Spin Doctor with a greenish fly of your choice

42nd Spoon

Daves Salmon Slapper spoon

Carbon 14 spoon

Green Gator spoon

Natural Born Killer spoon

Super Slim spoons where on fire last year.  So get  mix of them and magnums.

you WILL catch fish with these, if you are using them correctly

Good suggestions. 

I'd add the atommik pro am uv glow fly and chrome frog spin doctor. 

As others have said - having the right lure is probably only 15% of the game.  Your best bet before you go crazy buying everything and breaking the bank is to give it a shot with some minimal equipment - once you do that, hold back some of what you planned to spend on tackle and take a charter. By trying it on your own and then taking a charter you will learn much more than if you just take a charter to start out.  After that spend a few more bucks on some of the things that were being run and at that point you will probably have shortened your learning curve by a year over someone who just starts out and randomly tries to figure it all out...