Complete NuB. Need to set up boat.

I ran by our 'local' Gander Mountain today to check out the 'going out of business' sale. I ended up buying some boat trailer upgrades. That's it. Apparently, my definition of sale and theirs.... uh, very different. I was going to buy a couple extra downrigger rod and reel combos but I found them cheaper on eBay.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

AnglingAddict, I'll give that a shot. However, I live outside of Philly and work for the godforsaken Post Office so, finding the time will be an issue. I'm thinking that maybe when I get up to Sodus Bay next month I'll charter a trip with someone. A few buddies and myself chartered a trip out of Pulaski a few years ago but the captain was a miserable son of a **** and made the trip miserable. I guess that it's worth giving it another try.

14 minutes ago, eljefe417 said:

I guess, on another note, should I be considering planers or just worrying about the downriggers, for now? I may have a buddy fishing with me and two downriggers, possibly stacked with 4 rods. Maybe just flatline for now?

I run regular planer boards, they are a must early on Ontario or if you get out in Erie for Walleye.  I made my boards with plans from this site.  If I had to do over (this winter) I will make a pair with 1x8 instead of 1x6 boards. You need a miter saw, drill, couple of paint brushes and some patience as it takes many coats of paint.  Inline boards are not so great IMOP.   Basically with a good bow mounted mast, 2 good boards you can run 4, possibly 6 more dipsy, wire or leadcore lines.  I made pretty close to the plans in the image but cut compound at 40 (saw only goes to 45) and I will go with 30 degree on my next boards per word doc instructions.  

post-139486-0-16328400-1361198296.thumb.jpg.a87d91ac8d08703c0d4781a924c81fe9.jpg

Planers.doc

Charter.  Yeah, that's a great idea.
We just back in to our cottage on Lake George using the recipe the charter captain gave is 15 years ago for lake trout.  We put my son's girlfriend on two fish; one about 3 lbs and the other was a bigger fish but bit off.  Sky blue flatfish, ~1 mph.  The Cap'n used davis spinners, but I don't like them.  Long story short, you will get a plethora of knowledge from a charter captain.  Sorry about the banana in Pulaski,  I've never taken a bad charter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, I've done some searching on here but, can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have an '88 Grady White 204c and want to try some trolling. I bought a couple of downriggers for the back and now I need help choosing spoons, flies, etc. to get started. I'll be staying on Sodus Bay the last week of July into August. (Depending on the flooding, of course) Any hints to get me started without breaking the bank buying the wrong stuff?
Thanks in advance...

https://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/index.php?/topic/66357-Around-100-spoons-$100

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Let's hope so!  Now I've got about 400 spoons, 100 flashers, all sorts of releases, 75 J-Plugs and other stuff.  I may not catch anything but it won't be for a lack of equipment, I guess.  I'm not picky, salmon, steelhead, walleye....it's all good to me.  I'll just be glad not to be working.

Since you'll be in Sodus Point stop in at Warrens (bait and Tackle) right there in town and ask for some advice about selection. You may already have some of the biggies in the tackle you have:)

Oh wow. man...thats too bad. They had one heck of a selection of stuff there specific to Lake O ....thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help fellas (and ladies, if any...).  We only got out one abbreviated afternoon and managed to land one shorty.  (More by accident than anything else...)  Getting my fishing buddies out of bed early after a night of drinking was an effort in futility.  Who knew?  Anyway, I'll be back up in 5 weeks heading out of Little Sodus Bay to give it another shot.  (With different fishing partners)  Good luck out there all and stay safe.