6/01/2017 NYS Launch at Point Breeze Update

6/01/2017 NYS Launch at Point Breeze Update

Anxious to get some info on the status of this boat launch I contacted the NYS Parks and Recreation people in Albany today. They referred me to the Genesee Regional Office. The Regional Office referred me to the folks at Lakeside Park. It turns out that Lakeside has responsibility for management of the NYS launch on Oak Orchard Creek.

There are no immediate plans to make any changes to the launch. The bulkheads (landside of the docks) are of solid concrete and cannot be easily changed. Some changes are under consideration to counter higher water levels.  These plans for changes, if approved and funded, cannot be undertaken until water levels have receded.

The launch ramps were closed primarily due to concern for boater safety. The submerged docks have accumulated algae and slime, resulting in extremely slippery and treacherous walking conditions. They don’t want to see anyone injured nor do they want to expose taxpayers to claims of irresponsibility or negligence.

Park Management is not happy about the situation and are losing revenue by having it down, but it looks like we’ll just have to wait for some dry weather and for the Army Corps of Engineers to ease down lake levels.  

I know it isn’t great news but it’s better to be realistic about things. Looks like the County Launch on the other side of the creek is going to even busier for a while.

Yes Olcott did the "extensive work needed" by stacking palettes & covering them with plywood! So realistically they could be opened in the same time it takes them to cut the grass!

9 hours ago, dmd113 said:

Yes Olcott did the "extensive work needed" by stacking palettes & covering them with plywood! So realistically they could be opened in the same time it takes them to cut the grass!

It's amazing what happens when the people in charge actually care about having the launches open vs the state launch's.