Although it may be possible to overfish any body of water. It seems doubtful that Cayuga will suffer this fate any time soon. For one thing it is a very large body of water with a tremendous water volume which affects probabilities and trout unlike some species like perch in particular don't cluster as heavily together in tight schools staying in particular areas or localities for extended periods - they roam around more making them more "elusive".  A critical factor is that there is relatively limited access to the water itself e.g. launches, parking areas etc. to support really extensive numbers of boats and fishermen at any one time as may occur in smaller popular lakes located nearer large metropolitan areas. Brian's point about releasing fish is also a major factor that plays into the situation. We fished last night and released all 7 lakers caught as an example and the other fisherman we spoke with at the launch had done the same with their fish. All the fish looked very healthy and well fed and we didn't have any with lamprey marks either suggesting the fish population itself appears very healthy.

Edited by Sk8man

2 hours ago, relentless said:

May have to worry more about VHS. Saw an articlr that says its in cayuga, it had a picture of an infected fish. One of the lakers I caught last weekend had the same sore on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most of the mass die offs I have seen in Cayuga over the last 25 years were not salmonids...  SMB, Rock Bass, Pike, Pickerel, Sunnies,  Perch,Bullheads, Suckers. Also seen the bottom covered a few times with dead  crayfish and most recently with dead  Gobies. Those are the fish I have seen in big numbers wash up dead a few times.. I have yet to see a large die off of trout or salmon in Cayuga, maybe  someone else here has at some point... bob

My understanding, it will effect stocked fish and fish that have never been infected before. Once infected and if the fish survives it can never be infected again.

How long ago was the last die off? How many generations of fish since then have been propagated? Also does the immunity pass by generations or physical contact and survival?

If immunity was passed down threw genetics, maybe the gobies and stock fish are the only ones at high risk?

Maybe someone else can enlighten us

Sent from my VS425PP using Lake Ontario United mobile app