Crusader Long Blocks

Just picked up a 10 meter Express that one of the motors (350hp 454) needs a rebuild or to be replaced. When I get back home I'm going out to pick up the bad motor that's on a pallet currently to get it torn down and see if it's rebuildable (it got hot). If it is I'll go through it with bearings and seals and have the heads/valve train done. If not I'm going to be looking for a long block. I've been doing a lot of looking around for them and have seen prices from 2-7k for a long block. Does anyone know what's a good reputable place to order one or a good place to get one somewhere local for a good price? The starboard had a long block about 100 hours ago along with manifolds and risers that were new last spring with about 20 minutes on them so this is the port (standard rotating) engine.IMG_0577.thumb.JPG.504a80a5296953b7d21d45e773c04145.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, slow rollin said:

Not cost effective to rebuild. Get a remanufactured from jasper.

I had about 2 grand with all new parts including the crank, rods and  camshaft including machining ,did the assembly myself,pretty hard to find a rebuilt long block for 2 grand, plus you know what you have, I used 1 Jasper rebuild in my life , never again had  5 standard pistons and 3  .030  over, that is what I call a half assed reman

I'm surprised to hear this. I am a marine mechanic myself and we install Jasper's on a regular basis with no real issue. My point was only that if you had to pay someone to do what you did yourself it would not be cost effective. Also your jasper engine has a warranty. 

I've kind of estimated it out and I can rebuild the motor plus accessories (alternator, heat exchanger, water and oil pump). For about the average going price of a long block. Yes there are some cheaper but like tradman said you know what you're putting into the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Michigan motorz.com   Stay as far away from Jaspers as possible.   Numerous boats in the Oswego fleet went thru jaspers inside 100 hours.   I would look for a crusader replacement.   Good Luck 

Yea I've heard the jasper horror stories. I looked at Michigan motorz and it seems like they only have mainly newer mercruiser stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If its your  motor is automotive rotation you could always use a new GM block from GM performance parts, use your original cam if its good, you could change to brass freeze plugs and marine head gaskets, but you said it has heat exchangers, with antifreeze in the block those 2 items would be fine

Ive also installed a few motors from these guys with zero issues 

http://firstmatemarine.net/

Edited by Tradman