Raymarine ST 1000 AutoPilot for my kicker motor

garrymny

So I've made some progress. Disconnecting the main steering cable totally made this doable. There's 2 bolt holes where the main steering arm connects to so I lightly bolted the arm for the st2000 and used a hitch pin for the second hole. I do have to undo and redo each time but am hoping the results are worthwhile. One thing I noticed is you only get 10inches of steering. 5inches left and 5inches right. Seems adequate to steer the boat just not lock to lock. Should be done soon! Can't wait to sea trial it. Thanks Gary for the help!IMG_1844.JPGIMG_1843.JPGIMG_1845.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looks good. Yes, the 5 inches seems like not enough, but it does work on my boat. However, with 3 to 5 waves and wind mine will not make a 180 back to go the other direction. I have to crank the big motor and give it an assist. But once on track it works great. Again, that's only in heavy seas with wind. I have both my motors connected together for additional rudder action too. I believe you will find it well worth the connect disconnect. I usually only have to do it once on the AM and them when I'm done got the day. Unless of course you decide to pull up and go full out to a new spot.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So if you look at the third pic there's four bolts with a bearing sleeve and some stainless washers underneath. I put a square piece of 2x4, drilled the hole out for the bearing sleeve and bolted it to the splash well

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10211305681450449&id=1012568306
Man I can't wait! I'm installing a trollmaster tomorrow and then it's calibration time

My calibration didn't hold. The autopilot sensed heading does not match my wet compass. One of these days when it is calm o will recalibrate. It does not make a difference on how it holds the selected heading. I just point the boat in the direction I want to go, using the +10 -10 buttons, then press auto to hold that direction. I did change the rudder damping setting to make it less active.

Did you get a cover for it? I seen some on eBay. Was gonna hardwire but wasn't sure it was weatherproof

OK Garry, I was gonna ask you that! Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I ordered the cover. Thanks for the link.

I sea trialed today and it seemed to work just fine. Wasn't too windy out today though. I have it hooked up to my hds 9 and it seems to be on close on heading. Wasn't sure I hooked it up right but seems legit, will know more when the waves hit harder

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to say this is by far the best 350$ I've ever spent, next to a used fish hawk, this little autopilot steers pretty nice and doesn't skip a beat. Just gotta find a handheld remote and I'm all set