Raymarine ST 1000 AutoPilot for my kicker motor

garrymny

Right behind ya, ordering mine too! Thanks Garry

Sent from my SM-T280 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ok let me know if you need anything. I replaced the pin and the end of the raymarine with a panther Marine ball and quick disconnect.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I didn't get a cover. I've been using a plastic bag , not the best option. I hope it is waterproof somewhat. I just soldered the nmea signal wires together, and connected plus and minus power direct ( through fuse) to the RV battery I dedicated only to the autopilot. The factory connector has tiny screws that you tighten to secure the wire. They kept popping out.

Be sure to put toggle switch in line with power. I think the unit will be on and drain the battery if you don't. I connected the nmea output from my lowrance elite 4 chirp. I don't think it is working but I only tried once briefly.

I don't know what the purpose of the "wake up" wire is. I do believe my Lowrance NMEA output wire is yellow, as I recall. I am not sure my Lowrance has the correct NMEA navigation data to allow the raymarine to track. I beleive I read that it needs crosstrack info and I don't know if the elite 4 puts that out.  I will look it up when I get a chance. My main usage is for it to track the heading so I can troll a straight line. It also works great to make 1 or 10 degree heading changes to avoid other boats.  My unit lost its calibration, so its magnetic  heading displayed does not match actual heading of my wet compass. I will have to recalibrate someday, but It doesn't matter that much too me. I point the boat in the direction I want to go, push the auto button, and it tracks.

Ugh I'm not sure the st2000 has enough in it to push my 115 yami tied to my 15hp yami. Need a 90 degree angle as the bar screwed into the panther tie rod had too much give to push very well. Hoping it works otherwise I'll have a raymarine st2000 for sale lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

2 hours ago, Little Crappie said:

Ugh I'm not sure the st2000 has enough in it to push my 115 yami tied to my 15hp yami. Need a 90 degree angle as the bar screwed into the panther tie rod had too much give to push very well. Hoping it works otherwise I'll have a raymarine st2000 for sale lol

Ssomeone told me to loosen the friction on the kicker motor, and it made a big difference. Also, I disconnect my main steering cable when I am using the AP. Too much friction otherwise.

Ssomeone told me to loosen the friction on the kicker motor, and it made a big difference. Also, I disconnect my main steering cable when I am using the AP. Too much friction otherwise.

That's a good idea, did you find a way to quick connect your steering? Thinking pin and cotter or something

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's crazy, was just watching at st1000 control a 50hp four stroke and the guy had it disconnected at the main steering cable, combs try that for sure! I appreciate the help!

I removed the bolt from the main steering and replaced it with a hitch pin. Quick and easy to connect and disconnect. I'm sure the st2000 will drive your outboards if you disconnect the main steering and reduce the friction setting.

I removed the bolt from the main steering and replaced it with a hitch pin. Quick and easy to connect and disconnect. I'm sure the st2000 will drive your outboards if you disconnect the main steering and reduce the friction setting.

Lifesaver brother! You ever come up this way we're fishin for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You can see the hitch pins in the pics I posted in this thread. Get them at home Depot, tractor supply, or harbor freight has a complete kit assorted. I even have a hitch pin in the bracket I made for the big outboard. It allows me to remove half the bracket to all the 70 HP to be tilted. Yes it's a little messing around but doesn't take long and once you get her connected you done for the day! Just push the buttons as needed.