7 Color Leadcore Reel

7 Color Leadcore Reel

I purchased some Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods, Suffix Performance 18lb Leadcore, 20lb Suffix Elite Mono, and Seagur flouro to set up 2 rods for 7 color lead core walleye rods.  Can I get away with 250yds of mono backing, 70yds of lead core, and 25yrds of leader on an Okuma Madga 30DX, or should I go with the larger 45dx???

Put 7 colors on a reel then put backing on to fill it , then wind it on to other reel and it'll be as full as it can get . The last reel is tricky one unless they are line counters then you can just go by numbers from there

56 minutes ago, TyeeTanic said:

You'll need to put 30# braid backing on it for a size 30 reel to work. 7 colors is about the most colors you can get on a size 30 reel and still have enough room for braid backing. 

This is the exact same way and set up I have on all my reels. I bought a 3000 yard bulk spool of power pro in the moss color, and for the differant number cores I did like mentioned above that way when you transfer it to a differant reel of the same make and size, then it's full and you can cut some off to calibrate the reel to the counter.

Heres a problem with me using braid.  I use these with inline planer boards.  Which have had a tendency to slide around on braid for me.  Even when I switched to the clamp style releases (instead of the pinch pads) they still didn't hold tight on braid.  Thats why Ive switched to mono.  

I want a reel which will give me at least 1000ft of total line on it, incase I would ever use these for salmon.  I know the 45 size will, but I think its going to be tight on a 30.  

Yeah I heard that, I run double boards from a mast. I find that the Laurvick releases work the best, but before everyone starts their you efin nuts, I've modified this release, I've found in the Grainger catalog the sell a extra strong alligator clips, and I have found out through eBay there is a guy that sells brand new Laurvick releases, I needed parts for this batch of clips that I bought from on here and they were rusted solid. The guy from eBay gave me the number directly to the Head Honcho, which is the daughter of Mr. Laurvick himself. She gave me all the rubber grips for all my releases. With new clips, new grips these work "About" the same as a black pinch pad line placed  approximately half the pad on a black pinch pad, I need to set the release as deep as possible in the Laurvick release

You didn't mention what kind of boards you intend to use and line capacity of the reel is not the only issue when going with mono to use with inline or big boards.. Mono has considerable stretch and that is something that you don't really want using inlines even the smaller walleye boards. The advantage of braid with boards is that there is very little if any stretch to it so when the boards pull through the water they tend to have cleaner releases with fish. You do have to modify the inline boards  with stainless steel back release pins though and carefully place the braid in the forward release such that the line is as far back in the release as it can go and the release tension is  tightened down (carefully not to snap the plastic) to the max. If the braid is truly set in that way it will not move and create wear spots or grooves (or worse) in the plastic forward release. Some folks even wrap the braid around the release a few times but if the tension is right it should hold fine the way I described. If it moves it can see saw like a saw and cut into the plastic. I've used my walleye boards this way for several years now with no signs of wear and have had no problems whatsoever with the braid. I would suggest going with the 45DX and putting on 300 yds of braid, the 7 colors and then the Seaguar fluoro leader for most fishing this will be plenty. A main concern with having enough backing is that you let out some substantial amount of backing with the boards. Unless fishing for kings all the time the 300 yds. should be plenty:). I use 25 FT leaders  but that is pretty subjective too. Another potential advantage to using the larger reel is that if you decide you need more than the 7 colors it may have that capability and although the 45DX may be a little "bulkier" it is not real heavy like some of the older reels that were made primarily from metal.

Edited by Sk8man

If your talking about braid slipping when using inline boards there is a simple fix to that. Just double loop each clip and you won't have any issues with the boards slipping. Make sure the loop stays around the pad and doesn't slip into the groove behind and they will release just like normal. Been doing this for years running 10lb and 20lb braid on boards.

You could also tie in a 30 ft section of 25 or 30lb mono between your braid backer and the leadcore.  This is where you could attach your inline board and still have the braid backer.  7 color I'd go with the 45 size reel.

Still have the potential  stretch issue with the mono anyplace in the line although probably less in this case than with the entire line of mono.

7 Color Leadcore Reel I purchased some Okuma Classic Pro GLT rods, Suffix Performance 18lb Leadcore, 20lb Suffix Elite Mono, and Seagur flouro to set up 2 rods for 7 color lead core walleye rods.  Can I get away with 250yds of mono backing, 70yds of lead core, and 25yrds of leader on an Okuma Madga 30DX, or should I go with the larger 45dx???

It all depends on line diameter. All line has a diameter written on the box. Braided line has better strength with less diameter and also last a lot longer. I use the 45 okuma for everything including salmon. I work 20lb power pro as a backer on most reels copper and lead core.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 6/6/2017 at 10:30 AM, jigstick said:

Will my Off Shore OR12 planer boards be able to pull 7 color lead core?  I can pull the deep diving reef runners on them no problem

I pull up to 10 colors  , you'll be fine .