Rochester 6/4 - agressive lakers

Rochester 6/4 - agressive lakers

We started at 5 a.m and headed in the dock by 8>30 am. Went out with Tony, the new guy on the block for early troll this morning.  We knew we had a short time to fish with the hazardous warning including downpour and thunderstorm. Started out in between Genny and I Bay in 120 FOW and 140 FOW.  

We took  three fish including 2 year old salmon and a laker  off 50' rigger with glow frog spoon and a fat lakers.from the dipsey diver out 120 at#3 setting with caramel dolphin spoon. Had a hit on the 7 color core and nobody was home when I checked it out.. It was interesting to note that the lake trout caught on the upper column seemed to demonstrated some serious fighting strength. I forgot about how strong they were when they were reeled in. You got to respect the lake trout sometimes as we know deep in the back of our minds, they are one of the less appreciated fish in our pond.

It was nice to be able to catch three fish and head in time. I did not see any thunderstorm later in the day which had left me wondering if the weather hazardous report were accurate. In my case, I would lean toward being on the safe side.

Heading back to the dock, it was a very sad sight to see as most of the docks at Mayers Marina are empty yet on the other  hand  the docks are crowded by the sea gulls and their gifts they leave behind for the scattered boaters including myself. With the no wake zone all over the IBay  the whole bay felt empty.  I m sure that the lack of report on the LOu had a lot to do with the near empty docks. We are witnessing the flood of the decade of not, the century and whilst no matter how much water we have in the lake, the fish are still here.  Be safe everyone.

We were targeting the salmon with our spread in the upper column.  Typically in the spring time, the lakers would take hits in the upper column (up to 50' down).  Generally, lake trouts are found at the bottom.   I was surprised to find the lakers on the 5 color leadcore set up for two days in a row.  The lake is still very cold with surface temp around mid 50's.   Browns are still close to the shore. We are experiencing unusually cold weather and that bodes well for spring tactics.

Until the water warms up, lakers can and will suspend throughout the water column searching for bait.  As the sun gets higher in the sky, most days the lakers will return to the depths and forage on the bottom.